Oil Additives - worth it? (Activ8?)

This is the place to find and to give Series II and Series IIa advice. If you're already the expert, help a fellow Landy owner here!

Moderator: The Moderators

Oil Additives - worth it? (Activ8?)

Postby seriesfan » Wed 11 Jan 2012 7:08 pm

"Snake oil"... "not worth it"... "just buy decent oil in the first place"... "the big oil companies know what they're doing"...

Yeah yeah. We've all read these comments before, but who has actually tried it? I thought it was time for a topic for people with REAL experience of the stuff. There seems to be a mixture of horror stories and success stories out there.

There's a good techie article about it here:

http://blog.sfrcorp.com/2006/09/13/do-o ... ally-work/

I recently put some Activ8 in my IIa petrol with an oil change. There was a slight but noticeable improvement at tickover, so i have actually been able to reduce the rpm at tickover . I've only done about 150 miles since, so as for long term effects... time will tell. But Activ8 does feels amazing on your hands! There's something silky and sticky about it which regular oil just doesn't have, and they have quite a convincing demo involving a torque bar (it's available somewhere on the net - probably on YouTube).
seriesfan
Grease Monkey

Re: Oil Additives - worth it? (Activ8?)

Postby Series_dan » Thu 12 Jan 2012 1:51 pm

Im guessing you may see benefits in a gearbox or transfer box if it can go in there? However my old series 2A diesel is over 40 years old now, its lasted that long without it and im pretty sure i wouldnt notice any improvement in that. Im a believer in a cheaper oil and more regular changes then paint the chassis with it when you do an oil change :lol:
Currently own: 110 TD5 County Station Wagon, Restored 1970 2A Station Wagon, 1960 Series 2 soft top, 1970 Series 2 Hard Top, 1972 Series 3.
Series_dan
Grease Monkey

Re: Oil Additives - worth it? (Activ8?)

Postby seriesfan » Fri 13 Jan 2012 6:33 pm

Series_dan wrote:Im guessing you may see benefits in a gearbox or transfer box if it can go in there? However my old series 2A diesel is over 40 years old now, its lasted that long without it and im pretty sure i wouldnt notice any improvement in that. Im a believer in a cheaper oil and more regular changes then paint the chassis with it when you do an oil change :lol:

You're may be right, especially as we use mineral oil anyway.

Activ8 can be used in pretty much anything... axles, gearboxes, bicycles! But to do the whole vehicle would cost a fortune.
seriesfan
Grease Monkey

Return to Series II/IIA