sharrow/ripon common

Got a lane you think is good....or know a lane that needs a rest - This is the place to keep everyone informed, and remember - tread lightly.

Moderator: The Moderators

sharrow/ripon common

Postby lambert » Sun 20 Nov 2011 11:44 am

Hi all, how would I determine the legality of use of a piece of land? It is a bit of land to the side of a sealed road and has many well defined vehicle tracks running through sparse woodland. I know of a couple of users but they come across as yahoos. The land is open on one side with no obvious warnings not to be there. Best comparison would be a pay and play without the pay similar idea to flappit moor before it was sealed off.

So how would I find out if it is ok to be there?
"open the door, sit in the seat, turn the key and GO!"
lambert
Spanner man

Re: sharrow/ripon common

Postby Denzil » Sun 20 Nov 2011 6:29 pm

There are only roads and tracks that have vehicular rights of way, not areas of land. Check an OS map first. Most local councils also have copies of definitive maps on their websites, so have a look there. Also check out the Trailwise database. If there are any rights of way listed then you will be able to drive them, but you must only follow the defined path. If there are no rights of way then you can only drive there with the landowner's permission.
1971 Series IIA SWB owner
Denzil
Head suit

Postby lambert » Sun 20 Nov 2011 7:32 pm

This is my point I own land and as I only want me on it I have fences gates and padlocks. The land in question has no barriers to access and no posted restrictions on use ie private keep off etc. So how do I find who to ask permission from?
"open the door, sit in the seat, turn the key and GO!"
lambert
Spanner man

Postby landroverlee » Sun 20 Nov 2011 11:25 pm

lambert wrote:This is my point I own land and as I only want me on it I have fences gates and padlocks. The land in question has no barriers to access and no posted restrictions on use ie private keep off etc. So how do I find who to ask permission from?

Contact the council and see if they know who owns it as they should know. Just because it doesn't have any signs saying keep off, or private, it don't mean you can use it.
landroverlee
Head suit

Postby SHOTROCK » Fri 25 Nov 2011 8:41 pm

I have passed this piece of land on several occasions and seen 4x4's and motorcycles using the ground. I also have never seen any signs or barriers to keep people off. I would of thought if the owners have a problem then it would of been closed off to vehicles.
Again I would contact the council or parish council for that area. It could be the land is either privately owned or may belong to North Yorkshire Highways as it may form part of the verge.
Personally I would not use as there are offences in law such as "Driving elsewere other than on a road".

SHOTROCK
Defender 2001 Station Wagon, Java Black.
SHOTROCK
Grease Monkey

Postby NoBBy400 » Sat 26 Nov 2011 2:19 pm

lambert wrote:This is my point I own land and as I only want me on it I have fences gates and padlocks. The land in question has no barriers to access and no posted restrictions on use ie private keep off etc. So how do I find who to ask permission from?

All Land in the UK is owned by someone so unless stated it's Private. As an example my front garden has no fence or private signs but doesnt mean you walk on it. You have to remember that plod can now take your vehicle and crush it if your found to be where you shouldn't be.
Stupidity has a certain charm --
ignorance does not. Frank Zappa

my Facebook page hope to meet you on there

NoBBy400
Head suit

Postby SHOTROCK » Sat 26 Nov 2011 3:50 pm

I think Nobby400 is refering to Section 59 of the Police Reform Act. It states:
Vehicles used in manner causing alarm, distress or annoyance.

(1)Where a constable in uniform has reasonable grounds for believing that a motor vehicle is being used on any occasion in a manner which—.
(a)contravenes section 3 or 34 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (c. 52) (careless and inconsiderate driving and prohibition of off-road driving), and.
(b)is causing, or is likely to cause, alarm, distress or annoyance to members of the public.

Usually a warning would be given on the first occasion which would last 12 months. If caught again then the vehicle can be seized!!!!

SHOTROCK
Defender 2001 Station Wagon, Java Black.
SHOTROCK
Grease Monkey

Postby OG. » Sun 27 Nov 2011 10:23 am

Basically unless there is a defined Right of Way or unless you have explicit permission of the land owner don't use it. To find out who the land owner is you could try the Land Registry or the local council to see if they have any information. Even if you can't find the owner its still not permissible to use the land.
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. ' Bertrand Russell

Elsie - Landcruiser Colorado
Helga - Smart Roadster Coupe
Fester - Defender 110 300TDi
Mabel - FC101 Ambulance (Sold)
Thing - Sankey
OG.
Dual Fuel Mod

Postby Hazza » Wed 14 Dec 2011 10:47 pm

i've often wondered about this bit of land when driving past it, it's not hidden so for anyone interested in seeing what the conversation is about:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=ripon&hl=en&ll=54.144154,-1.455034&spn=0.002121,0.005681&sll=54.589929,-2.843834&sspn=4.297397,11.634521&vpsrc=6&hnear=Ripon,+North+Yorkshire,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=18
http://www.facebook.com/proctor.h

1990 110 200Tdi Hard Top/Camper REBUILD CLICK HERE
2001 Defender 90 TD5 'Dotty' NOW DECEASED
Home built 13hp Off Road Go-Kart - 40mph tops + no suspension...FUN!
Hazza
Head suit

Postby OG. » Thu 15 Dec 2011 3:47 pm

Hazza wrote:i've often wondered about this bit of land when driving past it, it's not hidden so for anyone interested in seeing what the conversation is about:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=ripon&hl=en&ll=54.144154,-1.455034&spn=0.002121,0.005681&sll=54.589929,-2.843834&sspn=4.297397,11.634521&vpsrc=6&hnear=Ripon,+North+Yorkshire,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=18

Frankly I'd stay well away.
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. ' Bertrand Russell

Elsie - Landcruiser Colorado
Helga - Smart Roadster Coupe
Fester - Defender 110 300TDi
Mabel - FC101 Ambulance (Sold)
Thing - Sankey
OG.
Dual Fuel Mod

Next

Return to Greenlaning discussion