New London LEZ

If it's got the Defender badge, here's the place to get advice. If you're already the expert, help a fellow Landy owner here!

Moderator: The Moderators

New London LEZ

Postby daytona » Sat 12 Feb 2011 5:55 pm

New to this forum so hi to everyone.
Just thought I'd give the heads up to anyone who drives a pre 2002 Defender or has a land rover classed as 4x4 utility on the log book and lives or drives within the M25.
Paste this link into your browser and enter your registration number to see if you will be caught by the new regulations from next January. https://lowemissionzone.tfl.gov.uk/b/pb ... ferrer=lez
The 'Larger Vans and minbuses' tab fron this link is important too. http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/177 ... ab-panel-4
The ridiculous part about this is that you can drive a Discovery of the same age with a 200 or 300TDI engine and you won't be affected by the regulations. If you drive a Defender there is a good chance you will!
As far as I can work out if it's a hard top you are stuffed. If it's a CSW with 8 or more seats and is classed as a minibus you are stuffed. If it was first registered as '4x4 light utility' same thing. Cost to drive within Greater London is £100 a day after 3/1/12.
Even if you don't live in Greater London this is going to be a problem. Forget picking up from Heathrow or the London to Brighton Run for a start.
I'm behind the idea of cleaner air but it seems there is no option to get exemption if you can prove the emissions meet Euro 111 standards.
TFL say this is based on 'Body Type'. Pretty sure it's only the engine that emits anything on mine!!!
They also say Land Rovers are the subject of consultation so Discoveries could be still caught too. If you'd like to raise any concerns with TFL I was told to email them at lezlondon@tfl.gov.uk quoting the registration mark of the vehicle.
Please have a look at the TFL site and see if you can see something I've missed. Even the MOT stations I've asked know nothing about this at the moment. Good chance that the first you may know about it is next January the 4th when you get a £1000 fine.
This only effects Diesels so if you drive a V8 you only need to worry about fuel costs.
daytona
New arrival

Re: New London LEZ

Postby OG. » Sat 12 Feb 2011 10:25 pm

Yeah stupid isn't it.

I have a 101 Ambulance that is exempt the LEZ and does 11mpg on a good day. But a 25mpg Defender is a no go.

The logic is what precisely?
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. ' Bertrand Russell

Elsie - Landcruiser Colorado
Helga - Smart Roadster Coupe
Fester - Defender 110 300TDi
Mabel - FC101 Ambulance (Sold)
Thing - Sankey
OG.
Dual Fuel Mod

Postby LANDYS4LIFE » Mon 14 Feb 2011 10:50 pm

I am going to be stung by this, so Im pretty much [half shaft] :cry: :cry:

Got a few options

1- get mine reclassified as a Station wagon/ estate ( I have fitted windows and seats) not sure if I can do this or not
2. Fork out 2500 for this filter rubbish thats on the website Certainly not!!
3. Convert to a 2.5 petrol/V8 and LPG - Rather costly and will make my insurance sky high
4. Sell the landrover :cry: :cry:
LANDROVERS 4 LIFE!!!

Just one landrover and a hundreds of miles of the outdoors to explore.................

I am LEZ Compliant :D :D :D
LANDYS4LIFE
The Other Half Of Bros

Postby mark g » Tue 15 Feb 2011 4:18 pm

I live just inside the M25 and it certainly does look grim. £100 per day is just ridiculous they may as well just ban the offending vehicles as no one is seriously going to pay that.
At very least the emission zone should be the same as the congestion zone (ie central london) and if they want to make more money charge a larger fee for the non complient vehicles.
One things for sure the congestion charge has not reduced congestion, so its hard not to see it any other way than they are screwing the motorist again for his hard earned money.
mark g
Spanner man

Postby Ads1987 » Wed 16 Feb 2011 8:36 pm

That is actually insane :/
£100 to pick someone up from Heathrow lol?
In the process of learning!
Ads1987
Spanner man

Postby Greg Tingey » Fri 18 Feb 2011 10:26 am

I have a 110 CSW 300Tdi - and I live inside the LEZ.
I have an exemption letter.
I saw this coming several years ago.
Be warned, you have to go around the burearocracy several times to get one!

"County" 90's and 110 SHOULD be OK - they are "Private Cars" - but you maust make sure your V5 says so.
BUT if it IS used as a "bus" - ONE: you will be paying higher insurance, TWO: you wiil NOT be LEZ -exempt.

The people who are going to be shafted are "Van" owners, and passenger ones that are not "Counties" - unless you cab get the V5 changed.
Beware the Great Green Beast
Greg Tingey
Head suit

Postby Greg Tingey » Fri 18 Feb 2011 10:28 am

Just remebered
Search the archive - there was a set of posts on this a year or so ago.

Moderator?
Beware the Great Green Beast
Greg Tingey
Head suit

Postby LANDYS4LIFE » Fri 18 Feb 2011 12:47 pm

I am hoping to get it converted to an estate, if this fails then it appears petrol it is :cry:
LANDROVERS 4 LIFE!!!

Just one landrover and a hundreds of miles of the outdoors to explore.................

I am LEZ Compliant :D :D :D
LANDYS4LIFE
The Other Half Of Bros

Postby T1G UP » Fri 18 Feb 2011 3:59 pm

well i just checked my factory 1999 td5 csw and i am exempt untill 2012.

So i checked again using the vehicle classification which are ,diesel, under 3.5 tonne, built before 01 jan 2002 and that says mines OK?!

Not that bothered TBH but i will send the form in anyway to slow the system up a bit :mrgreen:
D2 TD5 Auto. Defender TD5 90 CSW
T1G UP
Grease Monkey

Postby MG Mal » Fri 18 Feb 2011 4:56 pm

I checked my 2003 TD5 130 double cab, and apparently mine is "compliant" and will not have to pay the charge.

Mal.
"Daddy's Truck" 2003 130 Defender Double Cab
"Mummy's Truck" 1993 200 TDI 90 Defender CSW.
"Baby Truck" 1980 Series 3 109 rag top.(Gone to new "German" pastures)
MG Mal
Head suit

Next

Return to Defender 90/110/130