Which Battery

They may rust but they are simple - Got a problem? Post it here

Moderator: The Moderators

Which Battery

Postby dougc » Thu 22 Dec 2011 11:41 am

Hi

I am new to the Forum and would be grateful for some advice.
I have a RRC 3.5 EFI and, after 7 years, the battery seems to be coming to the end of its life (I left my main beams on the other day and it was flat within an hour). The current battery is a Bosch Silver and the S4027 is the battery listed by Bosch for the car.
I was thinking of going for a more powerful battery than the current one (600A/70AH), is this worthwhile? Can anyone recommend a good reasonably priced battery, which will fit and have the terminals in the right position, as good or even better than the Bosch Silver?
Thanks
Doug
dougc
New arrival

Re: Which Battery

Postby olly_richman » Thu 22 Dec 2011 12:37 pm

I think a type 072 is the normal type.
However I got a light commercial (7.5T) batery and it fitted in a treat, gives plenty of cranking time!
1971 Range Rover 3.5
1999 Disco 1 3.9i
olly_richman
Spanner man

Postby paintman » Thu 22 Dec 2011 3:41 pm

The Bosch number you give is an 069 battery.
Later RRC listings show an 072.
No reason why you can't fit a bigger one providing it will fit in the space available. Needs to be left hand positive - all that means is that if you have the battery in front of you with the teminals nearest you the positive terminal is on your left.

If there were no other issues with your battery then fully recharge it with a battery charger & carry on using it. You might want to install a 'lights left on' warning device. :)
A simple 12volt buzzer (Maplins) with one side wired in to the side light feed FROM the light switch (live only when sidelights on) & the other piggy backed onto the drivers door courtesy light switch will do. Buzzes if you open the drivers door with the lights on. Saved me a few times! :oops:
1986 RRC 3.5EFi LPG
paintman

Postby Hard Blues » Thu 22 Dec 2011 5:37 pm

Bigger than 75AH batteries may have some issue with the space available. I had such issue - aircon tubes didn't allow me to itstall big battery, but take into consineration that my truck is LHD, so you probably won't have the same issue.
About lef- or right hand positive. Once I also have that kind of issue, but solved it having fitted longer negative (to the body) cable
Formerly Land Khoper
Hard Blues
Spanner man

Postby dougc » Thu 22 Dec 2011 7:35 pm

Thanks for the advice, the buzzer is a good idea.
The S4027 is the only battery listed in the Bosch Battery Finder for all RRCs and although a 069 it is the same power and size as the other makes of batteries specified as 072 I have found.
dougc
New arrival

Postby vougese39 » Thu 22 Dec 2011 11:02 pm

I usually fit the diesel spec battery for the last of the classics it's a 860-900cca battery never had a problem
Armsonae first aid for your land rover! Please contact stuart@armsonae.co.uk
phone 01163193251
www.armsonae.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Armson-Automotive-Engineers/117899514937723
vougese39
Twisted Fire Starter

Postby naki.k » Fri 23 Dec 2011 2:01 pm

if you want more/ back up power, you may be able to consider a twin battery set up with split charging? not got it myself but i know its favoured by the winchers out there. you will have to move some parts around on the opposite side of the rad, but i believe it possible to fit another battery in there. i think it was even a factory option on early RRC? though not on later models?

personally i think you can't really go wrong with Bosch. i have one on my RR and its been brilliant for the past 7yrs and still going. only once had a problem when the interior light was left on for a few days. but i charged it up again on the mains, without an issue. 12v batteries don't like to being fully discharged and it can damage them apparently, but if you can charge it on the mains sometimes you can rescue them back to life.
again had the same thing on my jag, with a Varta battery, but a few goes with mains charger brought it back without a problem.

the way i buy batteries is to measure the available space in the battery tray, go to the shop with the measurements, and buy the largest physical size you can fit in. take your tape measure!

i think whatever brand you choose its worth going for one with atleast a 3 yr warranty, but better ones offer 4 or 5yrs.
other good brands are Varta, Yuasa, AC Delco. i wouldn't bother with cheapo no brand chinese stuff!

i think something around 72Ah is adequate for normal use myself. expect to pay £80- £90 region for a good one.
1990 RRC Vogue SE 3.9 V8 LPG, usual off road mods
Jaguar XJ40 x6!
naki.k
Spanner man

Postby Hard Blues » Fri 23 Dec 2011 9:16 pm

2.5 td VM powered RRC were factory fitted with two batteries
Formerly Land Khoper
Hard Blues
Spanner man

Postby dougc » Sun 25 Dec 2011 12:42 am

My current battery, which is 7 years old, is a Bosch Silver and came with a 5 year guarentee but is showing black in the battery condition window which indicates that it is no longer at its best. I was considering fitting a higher powered battery but the only Bosch battery which fits and has terminals in the right place is the current Silver which now comes with a 4 year guarentee and is the standard power.
As I do not have any additional power demands such as a winch, I am inclined to stick with the Bosch which I have seen new on Ebay for £71 including P&P.
dougc
New arrival

Postby michealadamson » Mon 02 Jan 2012 5:41 pm

If you had thè money you could go for an optima red top battery there gel filled and seem to have a very high cca rating then a normal battery
D1 Tdi now dead and on it's way to heaven
D1 v8 Manual killing the planet one mile at a Time lol
michealadamson
Demented Disco Driver

Next

Return to Classic Range Rover