Intermittent power loss

They may rust but they are simple - Got a problem? Post it here

Moderator: The Moderators

Intermittent power loss

Postby countrymansouth » Thu 19 Oct 2017 9:35 pm

Gents in need of some advice. I have a 3.9 efi non cat. It has been off the road being welded for 3 months. When I collected it ran perfectly, following day 20 mile run perfect, day 3 whilst driving along it kangarooed violently so hard it caused to transfer box to bang about. It would do this intermittently then carry on perfectly. It is as a switch is being flicked on and off.
I have checked and replaced one wire and connector on the positive side of the coil, changed the coil for a known good one, replaced the fuel filter, and checked the plug leads and the king lead. Still kangarooed! Need some help please!
countrymansouth
Spanner man

Re: Intermittent power loss

Postby countrymansouth » Sat 21 Oct 2017 9:56 am

Out of curiosity I hotwired the coil straight to the battery and the kangarooing was still there so I think I can discount wiring fault around the low tension side of the coil.
The only pattern that is emerging is that the kangerooing is getting less violent each time I drive and takes longer to manifest its self. Last night I had to thrash it up a very steep hill to get it to kangaroo, on the flat or a gentle slope runs perfectly.
So the question is, is it something physically moving as a result of going up hill or is it something electrical breaking down up heavy load?
Your thoughts gents?
countrymansouth
Spanner man

Postby countrymansouth » Tue 31 Oct 2017 12:18 am

Just the truck back from the garage, they read the fault codes which showed the tps at fault.
With a multimeter connected would scale from 0.35 volts to 4.5volts, which is normal, for most of the time but now and then at either end of the throttle position the tps signal would disappear the with a wiggle of the throttle would return to normal. Drove the car home about 15 miles and drove perfectly except if I used the kickdown then the revs would drop to virtually nothing for a couple of seconds then back to normal.
The fault would appear to be withe the tps so my question is does anyone have a good secondhand one they can sell me?
countrymansouth
Spanner man

Postby paintman » Tue 31 Oct 2017 12:12 pm

LRcat suggests there are two part numbers
ETC8495 for RRC up to VIN MA656101.
ERR2263 from VIN MA656102.
I don't know what the differences between the two are. They were also used on the Disco 1.

There is a 'how to' repair from the Rover SD1 site but I have no idea whether this works. Unfortunately the alternative DIY one he also shows uses a pot that is NLA.
http://www.vintagemodelairplane.com/pag ... tpot02.pdf
1986 RRC 3.5EFi LPG
paintman

Postby countrymansouth » Thu 02 Nov 2017 1:46 am

Many thanks for info very useful. Mark Adams, tornado systems makes a replacement pot using modern bits so I am going order one of those.
Out of curiosity I will have a go at repairing the faulty pot as outlined in the link and see how that works out.
I will report back once I have installed the Tornado pot.
Many thanks Nick
countrymansouth
Spanner man

Return to Classic Range Rover