Rear Tailgate Door Handle

Disco 2 getting a bit too complicated? Post a question here

Moderator: The Moderators

Rear Tailgate Door Handle

Postby Birdman96 » Thu 15 Jun 2017 10:22 pm

The spring for the door handle on my D2 appears to have stretched so it doesn't return the levers inside the door to their right position so that sometimes I can't open the tailgate from outside. I notice that the part number for the complete tailgate handle for D1 & D2 are the same - CXB102190. Is this right because I can get on ebay a replacement spring a lot cheaper than a new handle. Are both door handles the same?
2001 Discovery 2 TD5 Manual ES
Birdman96
Spanner man

Re: Rear Tailgate Door Handle

Postby michael2 » Thu 15 Jun 2017 10:55 pm

Prise out the ' land rover ' badge and give all the link/ages a good oiling or wd40 etc .

Lots of working of the handle should free it up .
Td5 Disco
michael2
Spanner man

Postby Birdman96 » Fri 16 Jun 2017 7:17 am

Thanks for that but done all that about a year ago as it was almost seized. Problem is the spring doesn't 'engage' with the metal work - its all floppy although its not broken. So it doesn't return the internal lever to its right resting place so when you lock the door it somehow by-passes whatever and you then can't open the door again when its unlocked. You have to lock the door again move the handle to where is should be as if the spring had been working properly then unlock the door and then it can be opened!
Birdman96
Spanner man

Postby paintman » Fri 16 Jun 2017 2:20 pm

Plenty of the internet for the Disco 1 but not the 2.

This might be worth a look: http://www.handyhowie.co.uk/handyhowie/ ... _Lock.html

There is a clever workaround in the D2bc Technical Archive which involves attaching another spring from a groove you file in the the lever to a hole you need to drill in the upper part of the doorskin but you need to join to be able to see the pics - so I can't link to it for you.
If you join use their 'Search' facility and enter 'Tailgate catch spring'.
The author says in respect of the original spring 'it is not possible to put a new one on'.
1986 RRC 3.5EFi LPG
paintman

Postby michael2 » Sun 18 Jun 2017 7:10 pm

Thanks for that paintman . Seconds to find it and now saved !
Td5 Disco
michael2
Spanner man

Postby Birdman96 » Mon 19 Jun 2017 8:27 am

I've sorted it - I hope. As paintman says you can't pull the handle apart to put in a new spring. Its crimped & spot welded together. So I re-tensioned the original small spring by cutting another slot for the end of the spring to locate into and stretched it. Its now not floppy and pulls the handle back up each time. I oiled it well! But I will look at the second spring as well.
Birdman96
Spanner man

Return to Discovery 2