Fuel lift pump woes.

The venerable workhorse - Got trouble?, Post a question here.

Moderator: The Moderators

Fuel lift pump woes.

Postby BioDisco » Sun 03 Mar 2013 8:33 pm

I've for some time now been having a strange ticking noise from my injection pump, sometimes it was constant and other times it would come and go, i do run biodiesel from time to time and i thought that it was related to the combination of bio and colder temperatures outside, i then started to read online that the injection pump can tick when its not getting enough fuel, most time a change of fuel filter would seem to cure the problem. for a period of time anyway, then i started to think that maybe the lift pump could be at fault, IE not pumping enough and especially when the fuel filter started to get the slightest bit clogged, so last week i decided to order a replacement lift pump and see what difference that would make, so today was the day of fitting the new pump, i was gobsmacked with my findings when i removed the old lift pump, the actual arm that activates the pump via the cam had actually gone AWOL, so no wonder the injection pump used to tick, it was having to do the job of the lift pump as well as its own job, so my advise is that if your having any similar symptoms to what i was try checking the lift pump, its a very easy part to replace if a little fiddly if you have large hands!

Cheers

Mark
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/red110tdi
BioDisco
Spanner man

Re: Fuel lift pump woes.

Postby Paul 94 200 TDI dicso » Sun 03 Mar 2013 11:18 pm

Good post mark :wink: nice to see someone posting there findings on an opening post on a thread.

Alot of people don't even give a "thankyou" after they posted for help and got replys that have, or might have solved there problem :evil:

Welll done.

Paul

Now, where's the photos?
ImageImageImageImage
Paul 94 200 TDI dicso
Living in the past

Postby brianthelandy » Mon 04 Mar 2013 1:09 am

I'll be fitting a new lift pump to Clarence this week hopefully. Good to hear it's not too tricky! :D
2002 Defender 110 Td5 Pick Up
1998 Disco 300tdi -(Clarence)
1984 110 2.25 Petrol (Boris) - sold
1998 Disco 1 300tdi - Sold
1993 Disco 1 MPi - Sold
1972 SIII 3.5 V8 - Sold
1984 Ex-MOD SIII (Brian) 1st landy - Sadly Sold
brianthelandy
Spanner man

Postby BioDisco » Mon 04 Mar 2013 8:43 am

Paul 94 200 TDI dicso wrote:Good post mark :wink: nice to see someone posting there findings on an opening post on a thread.

Alot of people don't even give a "thankyou" after they posted for help and got replys that have, or might have solved there problem :evil:

Welll done.

Paul

Now, where's the photos?

Hi Paul, sorry for the lack of photo's but I will say that the old fuel lift pump that I removed was a Delphi, the one with the small filter in the top, that was removed from mine a while back as that too gave me problems.
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/red110tdi
BioDisco
Spanner man

Return to Discovery 1