Back to 1980s Project - 19J 2.5 Turbo Diesel Strip Down

As so many things are common across many Land Rovers this forum is for operations and faults that could apply to many models

Moderator: The Moderators

Re: Back to 1980s Project - 19J 2.5 Turbo Diesel Strip Down

Postby monkie » Wed 08 Mar 2017 2:59 pm

Putting all the other parts back to build up the engine is litterally as easy as reversal of removal, just taking care with the new parts and using the correct torque figures from the manual rather than just guessing.

I will show the timing belt part though for clarity if anyone is doing this job with the engine on a stand like me or in the vehicle. I used the locking pins that came with that timing set and pullers I got off ebay for £20. I have to say the job is a lot easier with the head off and the engine on a stand rather than in the Land Rover.

The fuel injection pump was put back on first paying attention to the marks made relative to the case and pump body. The sprokets were put back on the crank, cam and injection pump, then a new belt tensioner was fitted.

Number 1 piston was put to TDC

The pump was locked at the correct position using the timing tool

Timing marks on the sprokets lined up and the belt put on and tensioned

I then put the cover back on along with the new water pump - its really starting to take shape now:
1988 110 hard top. Rebuilt 2.5TD 19J engine
monkie
Head suit

Postby monkie » Wed 08 Mar 2017 3:01 pm

When the engine was off the stand and the flywheel put back on, I put the timing tool into the timing hole on the flywheel housing to show you what it looks like when you lock the crank at TDC using this tool
monkie
Head suit

Postby monkie » Wed 08 Mar 2017 3:09 pm

When the job was complete the 300Tdi had to come out and I have to admit that I did have a moment of "what are you thinking Phil!" But there was no turning back now after all that work and I needed to sell the Tdi to pay for the cost of the rebuild! :shock:

Tdi out, a few alterations made interms of radiator mounts and putting the 19J engine mount used on the Tdi back onto the 19J, then I was ready to put it in

ImageImage
monkie
Head suit

Postby monkie » Wed 08 Mar 2017 3:21 pm

Right, so that was complete in July 2016. If fired up and ran really well which was very satisfying and a releif. I took it easy for the first 500 miles then changed the oil. So far I have done about 2,000 miles since then with no trouble at all. No oil in the air filter, no heavy breathing and it starts really well even on frosty mornings with about 10 seconds of glow plug heat.

There is of course a noticable drop in power compared to the Tdi and also a rise in fuel consumption. But I am now a step forward to getting back to the 1980s with my 1988 110 and I am really pleased with the result and hopefully the engine will be good for two more decades if not longer with good regular servicing and sympathetic driving.

The original head was scrapped, I got a replacment off ebay for £30. Had it skimmed, ground the valves in and fitted it. All other parts were replaced such as fuel lift pump, water pump, timing belts, ancillary belts, gasket sets, filters etc. Keeping in mind the engine cost £200, I think I spent about £400 on parts including the engineering work and new piston sets, but got £400 for the Tdi when I sold it, so I have a rebuilt 19J for £200 out of pocket and really enjoyed doing the rebuild learning as I went.

I hope these pictures show that it isn't a too hard job to do at home provided you have the correct tools and take your time. I'm happy to try and answer any questions except for "why did you sell the Tdi for a 19J" - can't really answer that one other than I like the old 19J and if I was sensible and concerned about power and economy I would sell the 110 and get a transit van: That ain't happening :D
monkie
Head suit

Postby paintman » Thu 09 Mar 2017 9:47 am

Thank you for an interesting & well laid out write up. Copied to Defender & General Tech Archives.
1986 RRC 3.5EFi LPG
paintman

Previous

Return to General Archive