electrical help please

One thing we all suffer from in our Landys are electrical problems. Got a problem or an answer - Post it here.

Moderator: The Moderators

electrical help please

Postby trailmaster » Mon 26 Dec 2011 3:38 pm

if someone is very confident with there electrics on a 1995 defender can you pls get in touch as i need some help with wiring.
thanks.
trailmaster
Head suit

Re: electrical help please

Postby pistnbroke » Mon 26 Dec 2011 5:44 pm

yes and whats the problem .......
pistnbroke
-----------

Postby trailmaster » Tue 27 Dec 2011 1:37 am

I need to rewire my defender, which has just gained a disco 300 and autobox. and all new lighting. i don't fully understand the wiring diagrams, but would like to do something different. (and the old loom is in bits and unrecognisable)

I would like one loom to do the lighting only, and the other the running of the engine. so.. i am trying to make a very simple pic for myself of what goes where, but am not sure exactly where relays are needed and how some of the wires are joined. and how the alternator needs a fuse in a disco and not in a defender?!

if you have a moment, i would send you the very simple image i have made, and maybe you could add a few things?

:D
trailmaster
Head suit

Postby jackdw » Tue 27 Dec 2011 3:58 am

I ordered a new wiring loom for my series 3 from http://autosparks.co.uk/ at a total cost of £284.73
They were very knowledgeable with my engine change and finding wiring to work with both the chassis/instrument panel and the engine itself.

I used the wiring diagram out the back of a haynes manual to rewire mine. It is not as easy as it seems. You will need to be confident in using a voltmeter, ammeter and a continuity tester and a good understanding of voltage in general for faultfinding is invaluable.

Why do you want two seperate looms?
jackdw
Grease Monkey

Postby trailmaster » Tue 27 Dec 2011 8:12 am

I guess its because i cant stand land rovers with issues. My discovery has just cost me a week in time trying to fault find the latest electrical issue, and thats after the aa and the main dealership not being able to do it. would just like a switch for everything, and be able to disconnect everything if i'm in the middle of nowhere and it happens.

its all very well the insurance firm wanting an immobiliser fitted, but when your in a deserted place and it packs up, as mine did, its not so useful. its issues like these that i am going to avoid. hopefully :D
trailmaster
Head suit

Postby pistnbroke » Tue 27 Dec 2011 9:30 am

well if you had come on here or done a search I could have told you instantly how to by pass the immobiliser "on th road side"

If it were me I would go buy some rolls of wire /soldering iron /heat shrink sleeve and get stuck in one circuit at a time but you can go the autosparks wiring harness route . dont throw the old harness you might need those connectors hanging on the ends...
pistnbroke
-----------

Postby trailmaster » Tue 27 Dec 2011 7:25 pm

i think i am going to do it myself, but there are just one or two wires i'm not sure of..
trailmaster
Head suit

Postby pistnbroke » Tue 27 Dec 2011 8:23 pm

And they are the wiring for what ???
pistnbroke
-----------

Postby pistnbroke » Mon 30 Jan 2012 10:04 am

lets get this fusing [swivel pins] sorted ...A 35 A fuse will blow in any circuit even if it has 14/0.3 cable ..that is when there is a short.

When its all wired up you can put a headlight bulb between bat neg and bat neg cable ..turn all off and it should not be lit .
You can also put a 35 A fuse in the same place whilst you test it circuit by circuit .....

Your real problem is that if the entire harness is home made ..ie not original spec then its a modification and you should tell the insurance ......If you have one from autosparks not neccesary to do this .....just dont crash bad ....
pistnbroke
-----------

Postby trailmaster » Fri 13 Jul 2012 1:13 am

wiring a race truck was a bit complex, but now that i sold that and got a standard defender... i rewired the entire loom in 3 hours. no problem. things are good when they are standard.

:D :D :D
trailmaster
Head suit

Return to Electrical