electrics

One thing we all suffer from in our Landys are electrical problems. Got a problem or an answer - Post it here.

Moderator: The Moderators

electrics

Postby roverv8 » Wed 17 May 2017 5:44 pm

hello,
bit of help its not quite land rover but its connected to my land rover :shock:
i have a caravan (elddis cyclone 2000 year 1999) need a bit of help with the electrics plug (12s grey)
so i wired up the tow bar grey plug
two wires, one for fridge (ign controlled)
and the other battery charging (ign controlled)
and earth,x 2
when 12s grey plug is plugged in to car this cuts out all lights pumps radio in the caravan which is
all fine there,
fridge light comes on which means i guess fridge is working
only thing is the volt meter in the caravan goes from a little over 12v in the green zone to under 9v in to the red zone,
any ideas?
thanks in advance.
LAND ROVER 110 CSW 200 TDI GREEN
roverv8
Mr Kick-Off

Re: electrics

Postby Fat Fingers » Wed 17 May 2017 10:01 pm

Sounds like you got a short and due to the long thin wires its not blowing a fuse ...You need to check the wiring in a diagram for 12S and make sure you have not transposed the wiring male to female or got front and rear diagrams transposed.
Best to go by the markings on the pins ...
Fat Fingers
Spanner man

Postby Ralph » Wed 17 May 2017 11:49 pm

M3WRM Western Recovery [MSA licenced]
Ralph
Defender of the Faith

Postby paintman » Wed 17 May 2017 11:49 pm

Could this be a possibility?
"On a 1 September 1998 or later caravan with 2x7-pin wiring, 12S pin 7 becomes an
earth for the fridge power supply. This was an unfortunate decision, since this is a
particularly high power circuit, yet the design of the 12S plug makes it especially
vulnerable to damage, which can lead to overheating problems. If you look
carefully at a 12S plug, you’ll notice two things about pin 7. Firstly, like the other
pins, it has a split end, to provide a bit of spring to improve the fit of the pin into its
tube. Second, it’s slightly longer than the other pins, so that it acts as a locating
device as you line the plug up with the socket. If you do not slide the plug in exactly
parallel to the socket, however, these features can lead to the pin being squashed or
bent. The deformed pin does not make as good a connection to its tube, and a poor
contact leads to high resistance and lots of heat when a large current flows through
it.
The surrounding plastic area of both the plug and the socket can then melt. It is
vital to keep this pin and its tube in the 12S socket in good condition (ie clean and
undistorted) to minimise the risk of this happening. It has been suggested that using
an alternative pin for the fridge earth - ie pin 5, which is unused – or using pin 5 in
addition to pin 7 would improve this situation. While this is almost certainly true, it
would make such an installation non-standard, and hence is not recommended by
The Club"
https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/102 ... ing-mo.pdf
1986 RRC 3.5EFi LPG
paintman

Postby Fat Fingers » Thu 18 May 2017 7:56 am

All above good but a couple of other things I dont like ...

Ignition switched is not right ..should be on the accessory position otherwise the van battery and fridge load are connected when cranking. The aux should switch a relay to feed the circuits.
You need at least 4mm sq cable as the fridge load is about 8 A and the charge current to the battery about 15A. A better way is to use an Anderson connector under the bumper to feed the battery or move the battery to the vehicle when driving.
Dont forget to charge the battery on a home charger before each trip andwhen you get back as the alternator will not fully recharge well run down battery as the voltage is too low. This is why narrowbaoat owners who rely on the batteries being fully charged raise the alternator output to 15.1 by the insertion of a diode in the field circuit ( 14.4 + 0.7 ).
Remember as well that the charge current to the battery is unlikley to exceed 15A and will fall rapidly to 10 or less so you need drive for about 14 hrs to fully charge the battery. Serious campers ie Australians therefore use generators and solar panels to keep the batteries up .
Fat Fingers
Spanner man

Postby roverv8 » Thu 18 May 2017 11:46 am

Ignition switched is not right ..should be on the accessory position

now correct me if im wrong but land rover 110 (c plate) dont have a aux on the ignition as i can only have radio on ign or when engine running,?
will have a good read later let you know whats going on, also what i did was opened the caravan plug and wired from there
it has only one wire for charging not two like diagram that is showing a live to car batt and an ign feed to control it,
fridge should be relay controlled in car,
LAND ROVER 110 CSW 200 TDI GREEN
roverv8
Mr Kick-Off

Postby Fat Fingers » Fri 19 May 2017 7:56 am

Turn on the wipers ..operate the starter ...the wipers should stop while it cranks. You take the feed for the relay switching the fridge and battery from the wiper fuse . You can use a single relay with contacts 87 and 87a as the 30 A rating is fine for both the fridge and the battery. The ignition switch contacts are not rated for fridge.battery. Sounds like you did not wire up the 12s on the vehilcle yourself so I would check that first or just use a bulb or meter to check what goes live when and on what pins.
If the wiring is too thin you may well only get 9v.
If the realay is connected to the WL on the alternator this is a bad idea as the field diodes in the alternator are weak and prone to damage by the back emf (300v) from the relay coil .
Fat Fingers
Spanner man

Postby paintman » Fri 19 May 2017 8:31 am

Fat Fingers wrote:Turn on the wipers ..operate the starter ...the wipers should stop while it cranks. You take the feed for the relay switching the fridge and battery from the wiper fuse . You can use a single relay with contacts 87 and 87a as the 30 A rating is fine for both the fridge and the battery. The ignition switch contacts are not rated for fridge.battery. Sounds like you did not wire up the 12s on the vehicle yourself so I would check that first or just use a bulb or meter to check what goes live when and on what pins.
If the wiring is too thin you may well only get 9v.
If the relay is connected to the WL on the alternator this is a bad idea as the field diodes in the alternator are weak and prone to damage by the back emf (300v) from the relay coil .

I do a lot of bodywork for a caravan sales company & it's not that unusual for a car to come in with the sockets incorrectly wired - one of the reasons why they will only do caravan handovers to customers Monday to Friday as the technicians are on hand to sort out any issues. The caravans are all checked for correct wiring as part of the PDI.
1986 RRC 3.5EFi LPG
paintman

Return to Electrical