Kankku

Share routes, dream destinations and plans

Moderator: The Moderators

Kankku

Postby landrovermad84 » Sun 29 Nov 2015 2:17 pm

I'm interested in peoples experiences and opinions on this outfit?

A few conflicting things on the forums and I've had my own experiences and wondered whether these were a one off.

In exchange for helpful comments I can supply you with off road knowledge of the lake district upon request.
landrovermad84
New arrival

Re: Kankku

Postby OG. » Wed 02 Dec 2015 7:55 am

What experiences have you had? I can compare with what I've heard and experienced from when I lived up that way.
'A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road' - Henry Ward Beecher

Helga - Smart Roadster Coupe
Fester - Defender 110 300TDi
Mabel - FC101 Ambulance (Sold)
Thing - Sankey
OG.
Dual Fuel Mod

Postby sharkey964 » Sun 03 Jan 2016 10:55 am

Well,the fact that they seem to have profited massively from other peoples misfortune during the floods put's me off them straight away! :x
100 quid for a recovery.
sharkey964
Tyre kicker

Postby OG. » Tue 12 Jan 2016 1:18 pm

Thats a bit on the steep side given the nature of what has been happening up there.
A small fee is not unreasonable to cover fuel/recovery insurance but that does seem a tad excessive given other organisations do it for free or a donation (4x4 response teams for example).

Historically they have been a bit of a law unto themselves. There are some green lanes in the lakes with agreed restrictions and Kanku seem to pay no heed to the restrictions or agreements.
For example 'The Fox' in Grisedale has an agreed west to east one way system in place. Kanku use it east to west.

I personally am not a fan of them and their lack of consideration for these agreements or for other lane users but thats from my own personal experience having encountered them on lanes in the past.
'A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road' - Henry Ward Beecher

Thing - Sankey
OG.
Dual Fuel Mod

Postby dbritten42 » Fri 25 Aug 2017 6:59 pm

I finally finished my disco and have driven the fox only as I dont know any other routes. I didnt know it was only one way though.
I would love to find more routes in the lakes as i live not far from there but i cant afford the £85 for 5 hours trip with Kankku.
dbritten42
Head suit

Postby OG. » Thu 31 Aug 2017 1:06 pm

dbritten42 wrote:I finally finished my disco and have driven the fox only as I dont know any other routes. I didnt know it was only one way though.
I would love to find more routes in the lakes as i live not far from there but i cant afford the £85 for 5 hours trip with Kankku.

The holy grail is Gatescarth Pass but that requires a permit to drive (not hard to get but it needs be done).
Other good routes are Parkamoor (quite a challenge), Ickenthwaite (2 lanes), Breasthigh Road, Knipe Fold (runs past Tarn Hows) and Tilberthwaite but check they are still open as its been some time since I was last up there.

Trailwise are a good resource.

Thing - Sankey
OG.
Dual Fuel Mod

Postby dbritten42 » Tue 07 Nov 2017 9:14 am

Thanks for the tips guys! I went up into the lakes the other weekend with Chan in his 90, we did tilberthwaite and a few others really enjoyed it! Cant wait to go back. Just got a few jobs to do on the disco ( wide angle front prop, helicoil transfer box drain plug as some numpty stripped the thread.) Ive just downloaded viewranger for my phone so hopefully I will know where all the routes are now.
dbritten42
Head suit

Postby OG. » Tue 07 Nov 2017 4:33 pm

dbritten42 wrote:Thanks for the tips guys! I went up into the lakes the other weekend with Chan in his 90, we did tilberthwaite and a few others really enjoyed it! Cant wait to go back. Just got a few jobs to do on the disco ( wide angle front prop, helicoil transfer box drain plug as some numpty stripped the thread.) Ive just downloaded viewranger for my phone so hopefully I will know where all the routes are now.

Been ages since I've heard anything of Chan - good to hear he's still about.

Oxen Fell is another worth doing and links quite nicely to Tilberthwaite from memory.

Thing - Sankey
OG.
Dual Fuel Mod

Return to Where and when to go