starter motor

This is the place for Q&A about Military Land Rovers. To post a question you'll need to register first

Moderator: The Moderators

starter motor

Postby flipper » Thu 23 Feb 2017 3:06 pm

having replaced the fuel (diesel ) system front to back my military 1987 90 is blowing starter motors , and its getting expensive !

I try to fire the 90 up and it turns briefly then nothing - ive taken the starter motor off taken it apart and cannot see anything obvious wrong ive also tested it and it (and the other two starters....) are completely dead.

It was suggested that the engine is seized and thats whats blowing the starters but that doesnt strike me as sensible since surely that would tear the teeth off the starter bendix ? but in any case ive ordered a v large socket to test the seized engine theory until that arrives i cant test it .

Anyone have any ideas or had the same problem with starter motors ?
flipper
New arrival

Re: starter motor

Postby wylfaboy » Fri 24 Feb 2017 10:28 pm

Have you tried rocking the vehicle in gear to see if the engine is in fact seized? If you do suspect the starter motors to be at fault you could try posting on the Electrical Section, there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on there.
wylfaboy
Head suit

Re: starter motor

Postby flipper » Sun 26 Feb 2017 1:15 pm

Thanks very much for the idea of rocking it...so the engine is not seized so i shall head to the electrical area
flipper
New arrival

Return to Military