Are LPG Disco 2 V8's a good idea?

LPG...The only option for those of you with nice V8s! Are you thinking of installing it, or do you already have it and have a problem - If so the LPG section might have your answers.

Moderator: The Moderators

Re: Are LPG Disco 2 V8's a good idea?

Postby rjsdavis » Tue 20 Mar 2012 6:33 pm

Thanks Dunc - in the end I went with an 04 TD5. I was tempted by the LPG, but the nearest outlet was just too far away to be convenient or something that we would pass regularly....

If one of the major supermarkets near us gets and LPG pump, then it would be a different story and I'd defo give LPG a go in the future potentially...
rjsdavis
Tyre kicker

Postby DiscoDunc » Tue 20 Mar 2012 6:53 pm

Ah....I'd kinda missed the fact that this thread was two months old......I always was late to the party!

I must admit, when I had my Audi A8 on gas I used to navigate round the country by TomTom point-of-interest LPG stations...many of which had either closed or removed the LPG due to lack of demand. Most useless download for the TomTom ever! I was lucky in that I had two nearby in Lancashire and another couple fairly close at the weekend location in the midlands, but down in Sussex and Hampshire there were too few, too far apart. Can't say I'm entirely sorry to be on diesel now.

Well, welcome to the world of oil leaks, strange warning lights and loads of fun! :wink:

DD
Do ursines defecate in arboreal surroundings?

Discovery 2 TD5 ES Auto (facelift, 52 plate), wading kit, extra lights.
DiscoDunc
Spanner man

Postby rjsdavis » Tue 20 Mar 2012 7:57 pm

Sadly, not a newbie to Disco's - have had a 300TDI and a pre-facelift TD5 prior to now.

Went for some luxury this time with an ES Premium, and just working out how to wire in some rear headrest screens / slim PS2 and main DVD unit to make it an a/v marvel.

Am all too aware of the reliability issues, and I really don't know why I persist with them!? My wife has just walked in and described the flashing D light on the gearbox and flashing cogs light on the dash - sounds like she's just described a failing XYZ switch on the gearbox which I could really do without - have just had to replace the fuel pressure regulator and auxiliary belt pulley amongst other things.... [Rusty Floorpan] Land Rovers!
rjsdavis
Tyre kicker

Postby DiscoDunc » Wed 21 Mar 2012 4:01 pm

Ouch! That's really going to hurt. I believe the switch is around the £300 mark...and if memory serves, it needs a special alignment tool.

Good luck, and I hope that's the last thing that breaks!

I've had to have the Shuttle Valve Switch replaced on the ABS modulator and I'm keeping my eye on the ACE light, 'cos that's come on a couple of times recently. Only had the thing seven weeks! Like you, I've got previous. I've been the happy (but poor) owner of a couple of TDi300s in the past, and abdicated from an Audi A8 to return to the land of Discos.

DiscoDunc
Spanner man

Postby rjsdavis » Wed 21 Mar 2012 7:41 pm

Funnily enough, this exact same issue occured on the previous TD5 - it would occur two or three times a year - the lights would flash, she'd lose power etc. Stopping the car, remove key from ignition and a full lock/unlock would "reset" the system and she'd be fine again.... Given the frequency and the cost of the part, it was never worth doing - I'm hoping that this will be the same and only be an occasional pain. You're right that it does require a special alignment tool to fit properly, and is a total pigs ear to do without it....

Still at least I didn't get a Disco 3 or 4, that requires all of the front bodywork to be removed so that you can get the engine out!! Nice design there Land Rover - you'd think that they'd learn how to make easy to work on motors given how frequently they need to be worked on. A cynic would suggest that this was an intentional design to massively inflate dealer servicing costs!!?! :lol:
rjsdavis
Tyre kicker

Postby DiscoDunc » Thu 22 Mar 2012 3:03 pm

rjsdavis wrote:Funnily enough, this exact same issue occured on the previous TD5 - it would occur two or three times a year - the lights would flash, she'd lose power etc. Stopping the car, remove key from ignition and a full lock/unlock would "reset" the system and she'd be fine again.... Given the frequency and the cost of the part, it was never worth doing - I'm hoping that this will be the same and only be an occasional pain. You're right that it does require a special alignment tool to fit properly, and is a total pigs ear to do without it....

Still at least I didn't get a Disco 3 or 4, that requires all of the front bodywork to be removed so that you can get the engine out!! Nice design there Land Rover - you'd think that they'd learn how to make easy to work on motors given how frequently they need to be worked on. A cynic would suggest that this was an intentional design to massively inflate dealer servicing costs!!?! :lol:

Surely not?!!! :o :mrgreen:

Mind you, if it's done under warranty JLR shoot themselves in the foot...dealers claim the cost back from them so the dealer doesn't lose out but JLR sure as hell do! You'd think that would provide an incentive to simplify the servicing/maintenance process wouldn't you? Real world, meet JLR...JLR, meet real world.....nah...never going to happen! :lol:

DiscoDunc
Spanner man

Postby hairbear1 » Tue 17 Apr 2012 9:52 pm

hi had 3 disco's 1 3.5 v8 manual 18mpg a 3.9 auto 12mpg now got a TD5 manual 30 mpg with over 200k on the clock the problem i found with lpg was that the filling stations are a bit hit and miss also the only have one pump and i found that sometimes that would not work then you have no choice but to run on petrol and the diesel is a lot cheaper on service item not having spark plugs ht leads which for a disco 2 aint cheap so i would not go back to lpg and it is nice to fill up with fuel when you want and where.
hairbear1
Grease Monkey

Postby roverv8 » Fri 01 Jun 2012 7:20 pm

im on lpg on my 3.9 v8 no probs, :D
BLACK DEFENDER 90 3.9 V8 EFI AUTO TRUCK CAB.
.http://www.ollythelandy.co.uk/
roverv8
Mr Kick-Off

Previous

Return to LPG