Discovery 2 LPG kit on RRC

LPG...The only option for those of you with nice V8s! Are you thinking of installing it, or do you already have it and have a problem - If so the LPG section might have your answers.

Moderator: The Moderators

Discovery 2 LPG kit on RRC

Postby Tim-LR » Sat 10 Jun 2017 9:25 am

A relatives X reg Discovery 2 4.0 V8 has died. I have the opportunity to have the sequential LPG kit off it. I've already had the tanks.

I'm not sure if the kit on his car will work on my 1994 Softdash Range Rover. I have the 4.2 engine.
Would the kit be compatible with my engine? Or are they set up differently?

If it will work, I think I need to take the:
Vaporiser
LPG ECU + cables
Tank gauges
LPG injectors + pipes

Is there any other parts that I'll need to take?
Tim-LR
New arrival

Re: Discovery 2 LPG kit on RRC

Postby sledgehammer » Sat 10 Jun 2017 1:02 pm

hi tim
yes the kit will work on your classic take all the hardware off the disco and install on the RR
you then need a cable to attach the LPG ECU to your laptop
run the software and put in the basic peramiters ie cylinders fuel gauge type injector info and lambda type it will install a basic map suitable for the V8 after that
you have to do the fine tuning you really need somebody to drive the laptop while you drive the car they can make ajustments while you drive job done
(it will take a long weekend to install well) it might be worth trying the lpg map from the previous engine but keep a eye on it as you dont want a lean mix that will burn hot and poss damage the engine (using the software on the laptop allowes you to see the lambda readings in real time) the lpg map should be close as its only 200cc differance in the 2 engines
what happened to your V8 mine suddenly had zero oil pressure and knocked badly (Range Rover P38a 4.0)

steve
Range Rover P38 4.0 SE
Disco1 3.5V8 Efi (off road toy)
Freelander 1
sledgehammer
Head suit

Postby Tim-LR » Mon 12 Jun 2017 6:50 pm

sledgehammer wrote:hi tim
yes the kit will work on your classic take all the hardware off the disco and install on the RR
you then need a cable to attach the LPG ECU to your laptop
run the software and put in the basic peramiters ie cylinders fuel gauge type injector info and lambda type it will install a basic map suitable for the V8 after that
you have to do the fine tuning you really need somebody to drive the laptop while you drive the car they can make ajustments while you drive job done
(it will take a long weekend to install well) it might be worth trying the lpg map from the previous engine but keep a eye on it as you dont want a lean mix that will burn hot and poss damage the engine (using the software on the laptop allowes you to see the lambda readings in real time) the lpg map should be close as its only 200cc differance in the 2 engines
what happened to your V8 mine suddenly had zero oil pressure and knocked badly (Range Rover P38a 4.0)

steve

Thanks for the advice. Is there any parts I missed of my list? I've never removed an LPG system before just tanks. Will I need the fuel gauges off the car for the tanks? Or are the gauges generic?

I think I'll take the system but keep it to the side for now. I already have a non sequential system fitted (that I don't know much about). Need to prioritise passing an MOT first!

Apparently the cylinder liners went on the discovery engine and its pressurising the system.
Tim-LR
New arrival

Postby sledgehammer » Tue 13 Jun 2017 8:44 pm

LPG tank (including integral fuel gauge )
Lpg Filler connector
8mm pipe for filler - tank (liquid)
6mm pipe for tank to evaporator (liquid)
(i had copper pipe on my first instilation discovery but used a special flexable pipe on the 2nd range rover P38 its much easier to install) available from tinleytech
6 and 8 mm P clips for securing the pipe
cable that goes to the solinoid valve on the tank
cable that goes to the fuel gauge on the tank
isolation solinoid/filter for front of car
evaporator
rubber pipe for hot water to evaporator
"T" for breaking into the water system X2
rubber LPG pipe for LPG vapour
"Y" slpitter for LPG vapour pipes (splits to the 2 injection rails)
2 Injector rails
LPG ECU
Front end LPG wiring harness
6mm LPG vapour pipe fron inj rail to injectors
8 injectors (to drill and tap into your manifold)
vacuum pipe
you may need other misc consumables that i have not listed like olives and fittings for pipe clips tie wraps for wiring hole saw for the filler if fitted into the bodywork like mine bolts for securing the tank metal strips with holes in it for mounting inj rails solinoids etc
i used self drilling self tapping screws for securing the P clips (was easier to use :-) )

i will edit and add if i think of anything i forgot

steve
Range Rover P38 4.0 SE
Disco1 3.5V8 Efi (off road toy)
Freelander 1
sledgehammer
Head suit

Postby paintman » Wed 14 Jun 2017 7:57 am

Proper leak detection fluid - not soapy water - to use after installation.
If possible test with compressed air or an inert gas before filling with LPG.
If you have to use LPG to test I'd suggest putting just a few litres in to check.

Be aware that some insurance companies won't touch converted vehicles, some insist on a certificate from a member of a recognised body - LPGA for example - and some aren't bothered as long as you've declared it. You may find your premiums rise.
If you go into Europe you can't use the Channel Tunnel so ferry only. AIUI that's because the fire tests were done for diesel & petrol but not LPG/CNG.
1986 RRC 3.5EFi LPG
paintman

Postby emmerson2 » Wed 28 Jun 2017 6:37 pm

Tim, I'd question whether its worth all the bother. I've got a basic single point on my 4.2, and have driven a friend's Disco with sequential system, and quite honestly there was no apparent difference! All four of my RRs, 3.5 and 4.2 have been single point.
My local LPG guru is of the same opinion; if fitting from new, then maybe go for it, but not worth while to change over.
emmerson2
Head suit

Postby emmerson2 » Wed 28 Jun 2017 6:39 pm

paintman wrote:Proper leak detection fluid - not soapy water - to use after installation.
If possible test with compressed air or an inert gas before filling with LPG.
If you have to use LPG to test I'd suggest putting just a few litres in to check.

Be aware that some insurance companies won't touch converted vehicles, some insist on a certificate from a member of a recognised body - LPGA for example - and some aren't bothered as long as you've declared it. You may find your premiums rise.
If you go into Europe you can't use the Channel Tunnel so ferry only. AIUI that's because the fire tests were done for diesel & petrol but not LPG/CNG.

But you can take a caravan with LPG bottles, or a camper van with fixed tank for kitchen use! It is a ludicrous ruling, but they refuse to change it.
emmerson2
Head suit

Return to LPG