Refitting Injection Pump 2.25 Diesel

Series III giving trouble? Let our experienced readers know, and get a sensible answer.

Moderator: The Moderators

Refitting Injection Pump 2.25 Diesel

Postby MrTAB » Mon 03 Mar 2008 10:02 pm

Im getting my CAV Pump seviced (as well as Injectors checked) and have been reading up
about refitting and timimg procedure. According to my Manual i need a timing gauge to take up
any backlash and wear in the gears. Must i have this tool ? is it necessray to do this,
are there any posts explaining in simpler words how to do this without a gauge, all advice appreciated
Passionate about Landys.
109 SIII 2,25D used daily for work and fun
MrTAB
Spanner man

Postby CCKW353A1 » Tue 04 Mar 2008 7:41 pm

The 2a method which does not use a timing tool is the other way.
88" S2 diesel, 109" S2a diesel, 200tdi disco 1, 4" scale 6NHP live steam agricultural traction engine, wife and 2 kids.
CCKW353A1
Head suit

Postby nickjaxe » Tue 04 Mar 2008 8:20 pm

Did you mark the pump before you removed it, or can you remember were the pointer was in relation to the base of the pump, I have S111D and have fitted the pump without the tool, even with the tool it needs fine tuning with road tests.

Nick.
nickjaxe
Head suit

Postby jechonias » Tue 04 Mar 2008 9:24 pm

done this my self, just realigned the pointer on the block and the line found on the pump base may need tweeking untill it sounds like it is running right but mine ran sweet as a nut straight off never missed a beat since and that was over a year ago
jechonias
Spanner man

NO

Postby MrTAB » Wed 05 Mar 2008 10:07 am

nickjaxe wrote:Did you mark the pump before you removed it, or can you remember were the pointer was in relation to the base of the pump, I have S111D and have fitted the pump without the tool, even with the tool it needs fine tuning with road tests.

Nick.
Luckily i have a second pump which is being reconditioned, therefore i still have the old pump
on the Landy. Am going to just swap them when i get the recond one back.
Terry
Passionate about Landys.
109 SIII 2,25D used daily for work and fun
MrTAB
Spanner man

Postby nickjaxe » Wed 05 Mar 2008 5:57 pm

You may find there is still a bit of fine tuning to do when you re-fit the pump, the colour of the smoke and the sound of the engine tell all, if you find you get blue smoke that's normally a sign of the pump timing being retarded,

I you get black smoke its a sign of over advanced timing, if the engine sounds knocky its to far advanced, to adjust you need to turn the pump body but normally only a mm or so at a time, there is a plate on the pump with a direction of rotation arrow on it, turn it with the arrow to re-tard, the opposite to advance, you need to slacken the injector pipes to do this, don't make the mistake of over tightening the pipe unions the ends brake of easy, just nip them with your spanner.

Nick.
nickjaxe
Head suit

Return to Series III