Series 3 - HELP! starting problem

Series III giving trouble? Let our experienced readers know, and get a sensible answer.

Moderator: The Moderators

Series 3 - HELP! starting problem

Postby Swissbrit » Wed 12 Oct 2016 12:57 pm

HELP!
I own a 1982 series 3 ex fire service 80 station wagon. ( i live in Switzerland )
Only 8'700 km since new.
When i bought it it was running fine, the previous owner having fitted a 123 electronic ditributor.
One morning the land decided to just stop running .... and the hunt began.
Try as i could i was unable to ascertain if i had a spark at all so I rebuilt an analog dis from 2 I had sitting around...
New cap/rotor and plugs & coil ... and whoosh... off we went again ...

However during the process of trying to find the fault i took the carb apart and cleaned it, including removing the air/fuel screw on the outside.

Now flip a few months forward and i'm having starting problems.
I have lost the plot a bit on exactly where the mixture screw should be set and often it takes ages for the lady to fire up at all ...

The plugs seem way to black and often soaked ( i took them out to check today and see if the timing was correct )

Any help or advice would be really nice please guys ..

Simon
Swissbrit
Tyre kicker

Re: Series 3 - HELP! starting problem

Postby PMcCombie » Tue 25 Oct 2016 6:11 pm

Hi Simon,
You may find the problem started when you bought the Land-Rover...sorry, I Meant fun!

Which carburettor?
If standard then factory workshop manual will give a starting point for the adjustment to at least get engine running and then you'll have to follow tuning instructions.

Make sure valve clearances, ignition timing and points and plug gaps are correctly set first.
If carb stripped, may be worth fitting overhaul kit. How high up are you as might also need to consider jet sizes for higher altitude!

Happy tuning....
1952 Series One 80" (now with new home)
1995 Disco 1 (do.)
1998 Freelander 1 (do.)
2001 Defender 110" Td5 Shed (ex S & S Electricity)
2007 Freelander 2
(and 2 fire engines)
PMcCombie
Spanner man

Postby Swissbrit » Tue 01 Nov 2016 11:47 am

Thank you Mr McCombie,
I did indeed try to service the carb ( its a Zenith) sadly to no avail.
Whilst googling on the subject i found a video where a chap has the same issue & he pours a little fuel into the carb and hey presto! it starts ..
So i did the same & Hey Presto! it starts but only runs fora few seconds .

This led me to deduce that the ignition and timing is all in order and that its a Zenith issue.
Once again i stripped and cleaned it, checked it warping and blew out all the valves, checked the pump and so on ... nothing .. same result ... poured some fuel into the top and .. it starts

So i have ordered a new one via Bearmach over the German importer (100 euro inc postage )

I'll let you know how we get on ..

Simon
Swissbrit
Tyre kicker

Postby Swissbrit » Wed 02 Nov 2016 6:41 pm

Talking to myself a bit ... but ..
The new carb came today ... yes it's Britpart .. i wasn't expecting that as the German parts dealer advertises that he's a Bearmach dealer ..

However ... fired it ..
Turned the key & ..

She runs ..
But how much exhaust fumes!!!

Booked into local garage in the morning for a run on the diagnostic machine thingy ...

But its a weight of my mind that it runs

Simon
Swissbrit
Tyre kicker

Postby COL » Wed 02 Nov 2016 6:59 pm

Hopefully the carb will be fine , not all the blue box products are poor quality :wink:
stress the only thing you get for free in life,
COL
Head suit

Postby AndyPagin » Thu 23 Feb 2017 1:02 am

Britpart carbs are notoriously awful, Weber 34ICH is a better choice and should directly replace the Zenith.
Check the fuel pump, better still fit a new one anyway, they're very cheap and easy to replace. Also of course change the fuel filter.

If it ain't broke, I probably haven't tinkered with it.
AndyPagin
Head suit

Postby Swissbrit » Mon 27 Mar 2017 4:16 pm

So bit of an update ..
i bought a reform kit for the original Zenith.
Put all together as it should be ...

So end result ... with the old rebuilt carb the tick over is great but theres nothing but spluttering and stalling at higher RPM ...
Could this be float and fuel level?

With the dreaded Britpart copy .. the tick over is lumpy as hell but it has no problem with the higher RPM .. but it's still a pain to start and has a lumpy timing ..

I have a 123 electronic dizzy and new coil coming this week ..
I'm still convinced that part of the lumpy running has to do with the old Ducellier dizzy

Stay tuned ...
Swissbrit
Tyre kicker

Postby Swissbrit » Wed 14 Jun 2017 6:36 pm

And finally ...
The answer was TiMING CHAIN ... or rather all of it .. sprockets, tensioner & chain .. now the timing stays where you put it
The crankshaft pulley is a bit odd though .. the marks are 0deg on the left all the way to 16deg on the right with 6deg marked, at the moment it's at 8 .. has little pop pop pop when engine breaking ..
What should it do?

Also
Did a head gasket change
Got the 123 electronic ignition overhauled
Changed the water pump bearing
Replaced the water with EVANS coolant

AND WOOSH ... 80kmh no problem
Pulls in 4th UPHILL!!

Now it's time for the Swiss MOT ( oil leaks are not allowed .. )

Wish me luck ..

Simon
Swissbrit
Tyre kicker

Return to Series III