Freelander 2 -poss clutch/flywheel slipping issue

This is the place for Freelander advice. To post a question or comment you need to register first.

Moderator: The Moderators

Freelander 2 -poss clutch/flywheel slipping issue

Postby clemo902 » Mon 21 Dec 2009 9:03 pm

Hi All,
I have a 2 year old Freelander 2 with 22000 miles on the clock which has started to slip under certain conditions and I was hoping to find out if anyone else has had similar issues with their car or can put some suggestions forward.
In 4th, 5th or 6th gear at around 2000rpm if I accelerate hard the engine revs immediately rise about 500rpm without any increase in road speed so something must be slipping somewhere.
I cant get it to slip at lower revs under heavy load or acceleration which to my mind would rule out the clutch.
I have taken it to the dealer who cannot say what the problem is but they were going to check with Land Rover bulletins etc .
Just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems in case there is an issue that I am not being told about.
At least I have my Series 3 to keep me on the road !
Cheers.
clemo902
New arrival

Postby iangam » Thu 31 Dec 2009 9:47 am

I've not experienced this with ours but it only has 9000 on it, Sounds like clutch to me as I would have thought what you are doing is putting it under load.
I am probably not qualified to preach on this subject.

85 90 TDi (TF special)
Freelander 2 TD4
iangam
Head suit

fl2

Postby freelance » Fri 01 Jan 2010 7:23 pm

some fl2 s have had their clutches replaced under warranty.
freelance
Head suit

Postby AEK76 » Tue 12 Jan 2010 9:34 pm

[/quote]Freelander 2 -poss clutch/flywheel slipping issue
Hi All,
I have a 2 year old Freelander 2 with 22000 miles on the clock which has started to slip under certain conditions and I was hoping to find out if anyone else has had similar issues with their car or can put some suggestions forward.
In 4th, 5th or 6th gear at around 2000rpm if I accelerate hard the engine revs immediately rise about 500rpm without any increase in road speed so something must be slipping somewhere.
I cant get it to slip at lower revs under heavy load or acceleration which to my mind would rule out the clutch.
I have taken it to the dealer who cannot say what the problem is but they were going to check with Land Rover bulletins etc .
Just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems in case there is an issue that I am not being told about.
At least I have my Series 3 to keep me on the road !
Cheers.

I have an 08 plate Freelander 2 with only 13500 miles on the clock and have recently had exactly the same problem you described.
In 4th, 5th or 6th gear the revs increase under acceleration, but no speed increase. From past experience, this can only be clutch related.
I haven't yet had it in the dealers, as I fear it is too easy to blame the driver or wear and tear in these cases and wanted to find out if anyone has had a similar problem first.
Have you heard back from the dealer yet or has anybody else got any more info about Freelander 2 clutches being replaced under warranty?? I just don't want to be ripped off.
The vehicle mainly does school runs and has never been off road, so I would expect drastically more from a clutch on a vehicle such as this. And yes, I have considered the possibility of the wife riding the clutch, but she has never yet managed to ruin a clutch in her 12 years of driving and has coverered more mileage in previous vehicles without problem!!

Any info greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
AEK76
New arrival

clutch

Postby freelance » Wed 13 Jan 2010 8:02 pm

log on to www.freel2.com and search for clutch/ clutch slip and you will find more info.
freelance
Head suit

Postby AEK76 » Thu 14 Jan 2010 12:30 pm

Cheers for that. Seems to be quite a common problem. I at least feel a bit more confident in approaching the dealer now! Will keep you posted.
AEK76
New arrival

Freelander2 Premature Clutch Slipping

Postby Rich1647 » Thu 14 Jan 2010 1:23 pm

My 2 year old Freelander2 has just 25000 (mainly motorway) miles on the clock and the clutch has been slipping in high gears for a number of weeks now.The vehicle is carefully driven and has never been used off road or for towing,indeed the original brake pads are hardly worn.Approaching the dealer and Land Rover head office has been hopeless as they say clutch is a 'wear and tear' item and would charge me for the full amount if they were to remove and inspect the clutch and find it was merely worn as opposed to defective.My argument is that it has worn prematurely but there seems to be no willingness on their part to compromise on this and I can only see myself facing a huge bill for replacement.
I would be interested to hear of any similar cases and if anyone has managed to get the clutch replaced under warranty,or failing that anybody having the job done and what sort of bill they were left with.
Cheers.Rich.
Rich1647
New arrival

Re: Freelander2 Premature Clutch Slipping

Postby AEK76 » Fri 15 Jan 2010 12:33 pm

Rich1647 wrote:My 2 year old Freelander2 has just 25000 (mainly motorway) miles on the clock and the clutch has been slipping in high gears for a number of weeks now.The vehicle is carefully driven and has never been used off road or for towing,indeed the original brake pads are hardly worn.Approaching the dealer and Land Rover head office has been hopeless as they say clutch is a 'wear and tear' item and would charge me for the full amount if they were to remove and inspect the clutch and find it was merely worn as opposed to defective.My argument is that it has worn prematurely but there seems to be no willingness on their part to compromise on this and I can only see myself facing a huge bill for replacement.
I would be interested to hear of any similar cases and if anyone has managed to get the clutch replaced under warranty,or failing that anybody having the job done and what sort of bill they were left with.
Cheers.Rich.

Rich,

I have not yet been to the dealer, but this was my main fear, that they would simply put it down to wear and tear and I would be left with a big bill.
Having only done 13500 miles in my vehicle, it can only be a faulty clutch to me, as like you said, mine has also been carefully driven.
The forum listed on an earlier post has more cases of clutches replaced under warranty, but each case is different I suppose and you don't know until they strip it down!
I just don't trust the dealership, I also have a Disco 3 and this has had more new hand brake mechanisms than you could imagine. They also left a fuel hose off after a recent recall job, LR assist just followed the trail of diesel to find me!
I think I will choose an alternative dealer and give it a try. I don't suppose I have much choice!

Cheers,
AEK76
New arrival

Postby st-george » Sun 17 Jan 2010 12:39 pm

my FL2 has been doing the same for a while now - 2 1/2 years old 37k miles.
I don't abuse clutches (only had 1 clutch replaced in all my years of various car ownership), & don't tow.
Got it booked in next week(2 day job) but am expecting "wear and tear" response.
God knows how much it will cost - will let you know but would appreciate if anybody else has already been through this and can give some advice.

rgds nigel
st-george
New arrival

Postby Rich1647 » Sun 17 Jan 2010 4:46 pm

st-george wrote:my FL2 has been doing the same for a while now - 2 1/2 years old 37k miles.
I don't abuse clutches (only had 1 clutch replaced in all my years of various car ownership), & don't tow.
Got it booked in next week(2 day job) but am expecting "wear and tear" response.
God knows how much it will cost - will let you know but would appreciate if anybody else has already been through this and can give some advice.

rgds nigel
Be grateful if you would let us know how you get on Nigel regarding costs,warranty wise etc. and what dealer you use. Thanks.Rich.
Rich1647
New arrival

Next

Return to Freelander