LOUD CLICKING NOISE FROM REAR END!

This is the place for Freelander advice. To post a question or comment you need to register first.

Moderator: The Moderators

LOUD CLICKING NOISE FROM REAR END!

Postby Denise » Fri 11 Apr 2008 10:46 am

I have a Land Rover Freelander TD4 (2001)

When I put it into full lock there's a very loud clicking sound coming from the rear end

Has anyone got any ideas?
Denise
New arrival

Postby Sparky » Sat 12 Apr 2008 1:43 pm

The most commonly reported fault is the failure of the viscous coupling which does usually show up on full lock by scrubbing the tyres and slowing the vehicle down like the brakes are on.
the purpose of the coupling is to allow the front and rear axles to run at slightly different speeds which is needed for cornering etc but it locks up when a wheel starts slipping to give full 4wd
the problem is that it does alot of work on the freelander and fails by siezing solid giving less ability to corner
if this fault is left unattended it can damage other drivetrain components by putting greater stress on them
however without actually being in the vehicle I couldnt say its definately this fault

id get it checked out by a garage that deals with landrovers as they may be likely to spot the fault quicker than someone that dosnt know what they are looking for (and ultimately costing less in labour)
unless you fancy lying around under your car with a box of spanners??

good luck and welcome to the forum
Joe
1963 SIIA 2.25 P - in bits
1976 3 Door 3.5V8 R/R
2002 TD5 90
Sparky
Head suit

Postby charlie716 » Sat 12 Apr 2008 11:06 pm

Welcome to the forum, as Sparky says :)

Clicking on full lock is usually associated with the CV joint failing but that is on the front hubs, sometimes noises can "travel", try driving with someone stood outside the car listening as they may percieve the noise as coming from somewhere else.

CV joints are a relatively easy repair, however, as VC is a know week point that often damages the IRD and even rear diff if not repaired though a clicking noise is unusual with these failures.
1961 Series 2a
2002 Disco TD5
Buell XB12X wheelie heaven, alternative off roader

Perception IS reality
charlie716
Head suit

loud rear clicking from rear on my freelander

Postby addy » Thu 01 May 2008 7:48 pm

I had this problem with my freelander, look to the drivers side rear subframe front mount, the chassis had split where the bolt goes through to hold the subframe to the body, I own a garage and had hunted for the click on numerous ocasions, took some finding but a little welding and all is well.

hope this is of use
Adam
addy
New arrival

Postby Blippie » Mon 23 Jun 2008 3:13 pm

charlie716 wrote:Clicking on full lock is usually associated with the CV joint failing but that is on the front hubs

There are CV joints on the rear too!

Cheers

Blippie
1978 Series III 109"
2002 Freelander TD4
1998 Freelander Camel Trophy
1991 Defender 90
2010 Defender 90 Puma
1993 Defender 110 Camel Trophy

:: http://www.horse-back.co.uk :: http://www.cameltrophyvehicles.com ::

Blippie
Spanner man