LAND ROVER CARAVAN!

Drive Land Rover, talk Land Rover, read Land Rover Owner International! Anything goes here (but read terms & conditions before posting!)

Moderator: The Moderators

LAND ROVER CARAVAN!

Postby supercooper » Thu 16 Jun 2011 9:46 pm

My wife and I have been going camping for the past 26 years...
We started off crawling on all fours in a small tent, when our babies were small, towing a small trailer with our 88 SWB soft top.

Then, as our kids grew bigger we replaced our tents for bigger ones and changed vehicles until we reached our 130 Double Cab with a larger trailer.

Our kids have now grown up and my wife and I still go camping and take the kitchen sink! We have a large Outwell Norfolk Lake Tent, which has the luxury on parr as that of a Roman Emporers Tent - carpets, camp kitchen, camp cupboards, proper bedding, and all!

It takes around 3 hours, yes 3 hours! to get it unloaded and set up, but we don't mind as it becomes our home from home!

It's the going home bit that does us in i.e. 3 hours to dismantle everything and get it packed etc.

So, I have been thinking, maybe it's time, to exchange the camping gear for a caravan.

So, I have been looking at various caravan websites and have looked at several makes and models; the modern ones look very OK, but they never appear to be strong enough and the design I am looking for, probably doesn't exist

I guess I am trying to look for one that has the same looks and lines as that of a Defender, which will be just as strong, robust and practical.

Then I thought, "wouldn't it be nice if Land Rover designed and produced their own caravan version"...... it could be running on Land Rover wheels and could be towed anywhere in the world, desert terrain to artic conditions!

We could get away from the traditional caravan colours of cream, cream or grey! .......and instead Land Rover would turn them out in their own colours and make them available in single or twin axle models!

I think that I would be proud to tow a caravan made by Land Rover, both Caravan (in Keswick Green of course) and, in my case Defender would compliment each other to a tee!

The nearest design that I have seen would probably be too heavy as on a recent visit to Chatham Historic Dockyard, Chayham, Kent, there was a heavy vehicle vintage display and one of the lorries had on tow one of these site operation wagons! It did look strong, robust and reliable just like our Land Rovers! (see image!)

I''ll think that I will write to Land Rover at Solihull and ask their design team, very nicely, if it's time for them to design and produce their own make of Land Rover 'Safari' Go-anywhere' Caravan...!

Last edited by supercooper on Thu 16 Jun 2011 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
109 Hard Top 2.25
Civilian Forward Control
88 Series 2A Soft top
109 Station Wagon
130 Double Cab Defender 300Tdi
Defender Double Cab TDCi
supercooper
Grease Monkey

Re: LAND ROVER CARAVAN!

Postby reb78 » Thu 16 Jun 2011 9:53 pm

There are options along the camper lines:

http://forum.landrovernet.com/showthrea ... tion-ready

Quite fancy that, but cant justify it!
reb78
Head suit

Postby farmerboy_y2k » Thu 16 Jun 2011 10:05 pm

One of these would do me http://www.kimberleykaravans.com/
1985 110 2.5p Hardtop
1993 Range Rover Vougue Tdi
1985 Range Rover Vougue 3.5 carb
1990 110 tdi Hardtop - Current
http://www.yorklandroverservices.com/index.htm Mail order parts and Land Rover serving 01904 625073

[img]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d152/Silverywaters/LRO/MARTINFINISHED.gif[/img]
farmerboy_y2k
Camel Toed

Postby rebel » Thu 16 Jun 2011 10:24 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
1994 v8 d1 with lpg (now sold)
1996 es 300tdi

andy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sticky-B ... ts&fref=ts
rebel
Head suit

Postby supercooper » Thu 16 Jun 2011 10:30 pm

Erm, Yes, thanks for that...

.........the Kimberley Caravans look interesting, I was thinking of something that had the similar lines of a Land Rover.......

regards
109 Hard Top 2.25
Civilian Forward Control
88 Series 2A Soft top
109 Station Wagon
130 Double Cab Defender 300Tdi
Defender Double Cab TDCi
supercooper
Grease Monkey

Postby Ralph » Thu 16 Jun 2011 11:32 pm

a USA Airstream would look great on the back of a 90 or 110 http://www.american-caravans.co.uk/airs ... -sale.html
M3WRM Western Recovery [MSA licenced]
Ralph
Defender of the Faith

Postby OG. » Thu 16 Jun 2011 11:42 pm

Ralph wrote:a USA Airstream would look great on the back of a 90 or 110 http://www.american-caravans.co.uk/airs ... -sale.html

I'm not a fan of caravans at all but I have always had a hankering for an Airstream.....
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. ' Bertrand Russell

Elsie - Landcruiser Colorado
Helga - Smart Roadster Coupe
Fester - Defender 110 300TDi
Mabel - FC101 Ambulance (Sold)
Thing - Sankey
OG.
Dual Fuel Mod

Postby Si » Thu 16 Jun 2011 11:51 pm

You'd need an Landy to tow something as heavy as an Airstream.
2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS
2006 Citroen Picasso HDi 110
Labrador & Miniature Poodle.

Once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Si
Shrunken Mod

Postby OG. » Thu 16 Jun 2011 11:58 pm

Si wrote:You'd need a proper Landy to tow something as heavy as an Airstream.

Corrected for accuracy..... :twisted:
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. ' Bertrand Russell

Elsie - Landcruiser Colorado
Helga - Smart Roadster Coupe
Fester - Defender 110 300TDi
Mabel - FC101 Ambulance (Sold)
Thing - Sankey
OG.
Dual Fuel Mod

Postby Chappers. » Fri 17 Jun 2011 7:28 am

OG. wrote:

I'm not a fan of caravans at all but I have always had a hankering for an Airstream.....

You are already known for having your own Airstream...
Chappers.
Big Mac Mod

Location: Lincolnshire, NOT the Fenland part....the other populated bit!

Next

Return to LRO magazine readers forum