maintanace costs, td300 compaired to a v8

Drive Land Rover, talk Land Rover, read Land Rover Owner International! Anything goes here (but read terms & conditions before posting!)

Moderator: The Moderators

maintanace costs, td300 compaired to a v8

Postby gazman » Wed 20 Apr 2011 1:30 am

Hi all,

I've been looking for a offroad toy to replace my current hobby of motocross, I retired from racing last weekend after a big off. :oops:

As a kid my dad always had Landrovers, he had a 80 trials motor with a fwd control to carry it to events, a series II or a series III 88 and then a range rover classic. I've now got a hinkering for one, but which one I don't know (infact I can't say im all that bothered, although a coil sprung v8 90 is the one that sets my trousers twitching!)

I've sat down and had a look at the fuel costs for a v8 against a td300 and I recon they will probably work out to be about the same if I get an LPG V8. The only thing I don't know is what kind of other costs are associated with them. Can anyone give me any pointers please and the pros and cons to each.

Cheers Gaz
gazman
New arrival

Re: maintanace costs, td300 compaired to a v8

Postby mat777 » Wed 20 Apr 2011 1:52 am

Hi Gaz and welcome to the forum

It really is down to personal choice, as both the Rover V8 and the TDi engines have been around for donkeys years and have massive parts and supply backups. I cant comment on parts prices though as Ive never owned either of them myself.

if you are looking for a pure toy then the V8 would be my first stop, for the noise and power. However, the big drawback is that if you are planning to offroad it, petrol engines really dont like wading!!!!
as for purchase and running costs, the lower price of a V8 (due to fuel prices putting people off) would probably be balanced by having a professional LPG kit fitted if there isnt one; if there is then there will be a premium on the purchase price anyway. You have to think about the practicality though as there isnt much room for an LPG tank in the back of a 90 if you still want some space for loads/passengers, but underslung tanks are generally a big no-no for off roading.
As far as running it is concerned, then a 300TDi will quite happily run on anything up to 40% straight veg oil mixed with the DERV in the tank, making it much cheaper to run than usual.
Both engines will go on for a long time if well maintained but both have major issues to check for. The TDi needs the cambelt replacing religiously at 70k mile intervals, and if the vendor cant produce proof of when it was last done, budget for it to be done ASAP. if it goes, wave goodbye to most of the top-end valvetrain.
The V8 likes VERY regular oil changes, without them it will quickly sludge up inside and die. If the oil is black and thick in one youre looking to buy, walk away. Also, while most people go for a carb'd 3.5 or an EFI 3.9, be wary of the 4.2 and 4.6 litre versions - they are known for porous blocks and, especially in the case of the 4.6, cracking between the cylinder and coolant jacket, letting coolant into the cylinder. This is a new-engine scenario.

Whichever one you choose, buy wisely and youll have endless fun!

Hope this helps,

Matt
NW060

1982 Series 3 88" County Station Wagon - needs new bulkhead, swivels, unleaded head, wiring
2000 Discovery 2 TD5 ES - new daily drive
1910/1994 Marshall traction engine - 1/4 size
mat777
One Half Of Bros

Postby OG. » Wed 20 Apr 2011 5:39 am

In terms of regular servicing the V8 will need spark plugs, air filter, oil and oil filter. A diesel will need fuel filter, air filter, oil, and oil filter. The costs roughly balance themselves out.
The V8 is a little more fragile than the TDi engine in terms of susceptibility to cam wear (cam need changing on average at around 100k miles) so budget for a new cam, timing gear, timing chain and followers (to check prices look at http://www.realsteel.co.uk) if the mileage is around 100k and they have never been done. That said the TDi injectors start to degrade performance and economy wise after 100k miles and may need an overhaul (cheaper than a V8 valve train but still a factor).
The V8s are more susceptible to water issues when wading as Mat points out but its not impossible to make them as good as a Diesel. The pic below is a 3.5 V8 101FC undergoing water trials for the military. They went ever deeper until the driver was in dire need of a snorkel!

'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. ' Bertrand Russell

Elsie - Landcruiser Colorado
Helga - Smart Roadster Coupe
Fester - Defender 110 300TDi
Mabel - FC101 Ambulance (Sold)
Thing - Sankey
OG.
Dual Fuel Mod

Postby trailerfitter » Wed 20 Apr 2011 7:24 am

gazman wrote:
I've sat down and had a look at the fuel costs for a v8 against a td300 and I recon they will probably work out to be about the same if I get an LPG V8. The only thing I don't know is what kind of other costs are associated with them. Can anyone give me any pointers please and the pros and cons to each.

Cheers Gaz

Diesel engines are fairly robust however the 300tdi has a rubber timing belt, in extream conditions needs to replaced every 2 years. expensive if you can't do it yourself. Diesel engines consume more oil and filters inc fuel filters as the service intervals are usually close together but generally need not much else unless something on the fuel / air side goes wrong and then the repair bills can be astronomical. Rule of thumb....if you do many miles, get a diesel as they work well over long distances and especially when warmed up.

Petrol engines generally have longer intervals between oil changes unless like my V8 that came from the London Ambulance Service, changed their oils ever 6 thousand miles without fail. Generally a petrol engine is cheaper to service and cheaper to repair as you are looking at spark plugs, occationally leads need replacing and the distributor cap. V8 engines have their pitfalls as do the 200 and 300tdis. Impossible to say which engine / vehicle is going to be cheaper to run being as you want to off road with it but be prepared to consider all the angles. The drive train on a land rover also has it's weak spots.
trailerfitter
double-0-didn't

Postby gazman » Wed 20 Apr 2011 10:52 pm

Oh the dreaded cam on the v8, I remember that going in my dads classic. He changed the motor over to a newer one as it was an easier job!!

So basically their is nothing in it, I didn't know land rovers would run on 40% veg oil. That's worth bearing in mind.

Really then i'm just looking for the best condition LR I can find for my money regardless of engine then. Thanks for the pointers.
gazman
New arrival

Postby Interlet » Wed 20 Apr 2011 10:56 pm

Get either a carb 3.5 or efi 3.9 as already said.

Avoid the 3.5 EFI's as much as the 4.2 and 4.6s.
1998 300tdi 110 Hard Top, slowly becoming overland spec.
Interlet
Captain Calamity

Postby mat777 » Wed 20 Apr 2011 11:13 pm

[quote="gazman"]I didn't know land rovers would run on 40% veg oil. That's worth bearing in mind./quote]

neither did I until someone in my local club tried it apparently successfully. though it would probably be a good idea to keep an eye on the fuel filter though and run some fuel system cleaner through it occassionally to get rid of any veg oil starch/gunk
NW060

1982 Series 3 88" County Station Wagon - needs new bulkhead, swivels, unleaded head, wiring
2000 Discovery 2 TD5 ES - new daily drive
1910/1994 Marshall traction engine - 1/4 size
mat777
One Half Of Bros

Postby OG. » Wed 20 Apr 2011 11:16 pm

I think Brownbear runs on 100% veg oil.... smells like it anyway..... :wink:

Thats when its not on the back of an RAC transporter of course....
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. ' Bertrand Russell

Elsie - Landcruiser Colorado
Helga - Smart Roadster Coupe
Fester - Defender 110 300TDi
Mabel - FC101 Ambulance (Sold)
Thing - Sankey
OG.
Dual Fuel Mod

Postby paintman » Thu 21 Apr 2011 1:57 am

Nothing wrong with the 3.5EFi. The 3.5 is the only one that didn't have liner issues.
1986 RRC 3.5EFi LPG
paintman

Postby Trev. » Thu 21 Apr 2011 7:12 am

Interlet wrote:Avoid the 3.5 EFI's as much as the 4.2 and 4.6s.

Why? It's the most simple EFi system ever fitted to any car and very easy to fix.

I'd be less concerned about which engine/transmission and would be more inclined to buy a vehicle based on structural condition. Most Land Rovers of this age are complete rot boxes so the cost of maintaining the engine could pale into insignificance compared to the cost of repairing large aounts of rust.
Good manners and humility cost nothing and earn respect
Trev.
Admin

Next

Return to LRO magazine readers forum