Td5 Discovery clutch

Disco 2 getting a bit too complicated? Post a question here

Moderator: The Moderators

Td5 Discovery clutch

Postby mudplugger » Tue 18 Jan 2011 1:57 pm

I'm going to put a new clutch in my Discovery.. Which is best, engine out or gearbox out. Also anything i should look out for. Cheers in advance!
mudplugger
Tyre kicker

Re: Td5 Discovery clutch

Postby farmerboy_y2k » Tue 18 Jan 2011 2:50 pm

after the job me and vulcan bomber had on sat doing mine I'd say take the engine out, I needed to do transfer box input seal so did it the other way.
1985 110 2.5p Hardtop
1993 Range Rover Vougue Tdi
1985 Range Rover Vougue 3.5 carb
1990 110 tdi Hardtop - Current
http://www.yorklandroverservices.com/index.htm Mail order parts and Land Rover serving 01904 625073

[img]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d152/Silverywaters/LRO/MARTINFINISHED.gif[/img]
farmerboy_y2k
Camel Toed

Postby rangerovering » Tue 18 Jan 2011 3:06 pm

I would go with engine out too. Unless you have a ramp and a jack, the 2 boxes are very heavy and manoevering them is not that easy!
Steve

Rocket Sledded 1985 Rangie Classic V8 Manual - 3.5 Serpentine conversion & 24mpg on petrol
rangerovering
Puppeteer

Postby Rougharse-Racing » Tue 18 Jan 2011 11:13 pm

Engine out as the gearbox is as heavy as the engine, and you can't get a hoist onto the gearbox. If you are changing the clutch also change the release arm, the two little pads that go on the thrust bearing end of the arm, and make sure that the pivot post for the arm has not worn out of round. Once you have pulled the engine out you won't want to do it a second time if these minor parts fail.
Rougharse-Racing
Head suit

Postby Dark-Lord » Tue 18 Jan 2011 11:19 pm

Engine out....but BE CAREFULL, there be wires in there that get trapped/forgotten, and it wont start again...make sure the crank sensor is ok and the wiring free,......post how you get on in the disco2 section. :D
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/index.php
“The key to successful leadership today is influence, not authority."
Dark-Lord
Grumpy Git

Postby mudplugger » Tue 18 Jan 2011 11:48 pm

Cheers for the info, I will post the full details on the D2 section
mudplugger
Tyre kicker

Postby martinhollings » Wed 19 Jan 2011 6:46 pm

well i have done both td5 and tdis and i would say engine out all the time on the tdis but when i did my td5 i droped the boxes there is just too much to remove disconnect on the td5 but dont forget the cps on the top of the bellhousing if droping the box (i did) but i must say that i used a ramp to drop the box but i have done it once on my drive with the engine crane threw the door but you need to pack the wheels off the ground buy around 9"-12" to make the job a bit easyer i did not bother changing the clutch arm like said above this i a good solid bit of steel and shound not ware out too quick but may not be an idea if there not too expensive and after having my box out 3 times i learn the hard way (1 for the clutch again a day later because of it draging and about 6 months later because of the gearbox input shaft seal) :D
ImageImage
martinhollings
Head suit

Postby trailerfitter » Wed 19 Jan 2011 8:18 pm

You are damned if you remove the engine on a discovery unless you have an engine crane that lifts the whole engine a lot higher than the slam panel since the panel is not removable on the disco. I would very much advise to think about how and where you lift the engine if you are going to do it that way,... the higher the arm reaches the more unstable the whole set up becomes on concrete with no ridges or cuts you can take it out level and squarely it won't be a problem putting back in.

Just remembered my neighbour who got stuck with an engine removal due to the fact he had concrete drive. the crane was okay getting into place but as soon as the crane took the weight of the engine it wouldn't move when a wheel on the leg,... it got stuck in a seam in the concrete ( surprise,... surprise :lol: :lol: :lol: )
trailerfitter
double-0-didn't

Postby Rougharse-Racing » Wed 19 Jan 2011 10:42 pm

I thought the same when I took the engine out of my 300tdi Discovery, being a Rough4rse I was going to cut the centre of the front panel out and either weld it back in or make a bolt in arrangement, but when it came to it the engine was not too difficult to move when raised above the panel.
Assuming the TD5 is the same as the TDi you do not disconnect the electrics from the engine, the engine loom disconnects from inside the vehicle and pushed through the bulkhead.
May still cut the center section out and make it bolt in, would make timing belt changes and any future engine removal a bit easier.
Rougharse-Racing
Head suit

Postby martinhollings » Thu 20 Jan 2011 7:17 pm

the wiring is very different on the td5 most of the main loom is in the engine compartment and also the clutch fork is very different not the pressed steel like in the tdis the td5 is a solid steel i am guessing thats why you sugessted changing it
ImageImage
martinhollings
Head suit

Next

Return to Discovery 2