Noisy 300TDi

This is the place to find and to give Discovery advice. To post a question you'll need to register first. Any adverts will be removed with out notice.

Moderator: The Moderators

Noisy 300TDi

Postby desertfox » Tue 01 Mar 2011 3:07 pm

Help urgently required,

Very noisy 300TDi on tickover.

Noise appears to come from right rear of engine, (injectors, possibly?) but also noise from rear of exhaust manifold cannot be ruled out.

Noise as if two metal objects banging together.

Noise disappears at around 950 RPM, and engine seems to run fine after that. Some smoke, but mainly unburnt fuel.

Please help. Any advice?

Cheers.
Jim
Glukauf!

[img]http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af34/jamesbadiali/P1010004-1-1.jpg[/img]
desertfox
Spanner man

Re: Noisy 300TDi

Postby dunc2047 » Tue 01 Mar 2011 10:09 pm

Hi this could be the vacuum pump that sits just behind the diesel pump mine was doing that changed mine all ok now...
Hope that helps
dunc2047
Tyre kicker

Postby raff209 » Tue 01 Mar 2011 11:09 pm

its hard to diagnose engine noises when you cant hear them but it could be a diesel knock or piston slap but as I said hard to know exactly when you cant hear it :?
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work

discovery 1 300tdi all mine ;)

mitsubishi carisma school run car is now dead totalled by a BMW
raff209
Head suit

Postby BigFish » Tue 01 Mar 2011 11:40 pm

Ill go for the vacuum pump as well :!:
BigFish
Head suit

Postby desertfox » Fri 04 Mar 2011 10:23 pm

Hi guys and gals,

Update on the noise.

Tried replacing the injectors with serviceable ones, and changed fuel filter, checked air filter, but still the noise on tickover. Spent two days tracking down an EDC injector, and had all the original injectors tested, ok. Fitted original injectors and the replacement EDC injector. Still no difference, so refitted original EDC injector. Decided to take car through to an independant LR garage.

Driving through town on the way to the garage and lost drive!!! Gear oil leak from torque convertor/gearbox!!!

Got recovered to the garage. Recovery truck lost PTO, so ended up reversing truck into the workshop and raising a car ramp to the required hight and pushing the stricken Discovery onto the ramp.

Initial inspection shows gear oil leak coming from the bellhousing breather. Mechanic also thought that perhaps the front crank drive pulley may be out of alignment (creating the original noise from the engine), as it is, on the way to the garage, the ENGINE CHECK amber light came on for long periods of time.

I must be the unlukiest Land Rover owner around.

Owned four, three requiring major rectification (at major costs) over these past years.

Time to knock it on the head and get a Toyota???
Jim
Glukauf!

[img]http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af34/jamesbadiali/P1010004-1-1.jpg[/img]
desertfox
Spanner man

Postby raff209 » Sat 05 Mar 2011 10:41 am

sorry to hear I think you have been a bit unlucky I had a spate of bad land rover luck a few years ago when my discovery and my range rover both decided to kill their gearboxes not at the same time mind but a year or so apart and so did my series 3 just before that but I just accepted that it was time as they are not new vehicles and its just coincidence that it was all gearbox problems but my discovery I have today is spot on don't give up on your discovery because when its fixed it will be a great truck and as the saying goes the grass is not always greener on the other side and if you keep your disco you have us horrible lot on the forum to help you out during any problems you face but if you go jap then the chances are we wont I wish you all the best with it :wink:
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work

discovery 1 300tdi all mine ;)

mitsubishi carisma school run car is now dead totalled by a BMW
raff209
Head suit

Postby desertfox » Sat 23 Apr 2011 2:33 pm

Well, time for an update.

Problem turned out to be the flex plate to the torque convertor wripped off the centre bolts. The steel plate wripped, not the bolts. Apparently a common occurance on autos.

So cost of labour to ascertain the fault £330.00, cost of replacement box £300.00, cost of installation I guess another £300.00 plus. Value of Discover if running circa £1,500.00. Time to call it a day. Didn't/don't have the money to fix. Was offered £750.00 as a non-runner, so pay the bill so far and came out with £420.00 cash.

Work in Libya, so salary not certain. So the cash came in handy.

Time to call a halt on LandRover ownership. Has cost me too much money over these past few years. Too much money that I could ill afford to be without. Am lucky that my wife is understanding. Think in many cases throughout UK, given the same scenario, many marraiges may have ended in divorce!!!

Oh well. Lucky enough to get another job in the meantime. Time to pay off the credit card and bank loans, before contemplating another crack at LandRover ownership.

Now. Does anyone have a cristal ball and let me know what tonights' lucky numbers will be????
Jim
Glukauf!

desertfox
Spanner man

Return to Discovery