Front propshaft on a TD5

This is the place to find and to give Discovery advice. To post a question you'll need to register first. Any adverts will be removed with out notice.

Moderator: The Moderators

Front propshaft on a TD5

Postby MRDIITD5 » Mon 16 Nov 2009 1:05 am

What a pain in the harris are the UJ's to replace. The cardon joint had failed and my mate mike who did most of the swearing did a sterling job but we couldn't get the xxxx to go back together. Managed to get new Uj"s in to get me home and there was a big vibration coming from the propshaft by the time I got home

New Prop on order £153 in including nuts bolts and more nuts
MRDIITD5
Spanner man

Re: Front propshaft on a TD5

Postby thebiglad » Mon 16 Nov 2009 5:45 pm

MRDIITD5 wrote:What a pain in the harris are the UJ's to replace. The cardon joint had failed and my mate mike who did most of the swearing did a sterling job but we couldn't get the xxxx to go back together. Managed to get new Uj"s in to get me home and there was a big vibration coming from the propshaft by the time I got home

New Prop on order £153 in including nuts bolts and more nuts

That sounds like a very fair price for a new prop, where did you get it from? Does it have grease nipples for the U/j's (unlike the original LR one!!!) ?
Had loads, just not now.
2010 Triumph Bonneville T100 Efi
thebiglad
Head suit

Postby MRDIITD5 » Mon 16 Nov 2009 8:08 pm

I ordered the propshaft from www.britishparts.co.uk

£153 gets me the prop, 4 new bolts and 8 new nuts and delivery
MRDIITD5
Spanner man

Postby MRDIITD5 » Wed 18 Nov 2009 6:08 pm

New Propshaft fitted. The double cardon joint has got grease nipples. They have been drilled into the bearing endcaps.

One thing that worries me, why are they supplied with no grease in them? More to the point, why isn't there a label to tell you to grease them?
MRDIITD5
Spanner man

Postby Urban Panzer » Wed 18 Nov 2009 6:24 pm

Has it got a nipple on each bearing end cap, or just one ?

As far as a greasing label goes, I suppose they "assume" if your up to the task of replacing the shaft, you should know that it needs larding..... :?:
Urban Panzer
Head suit

Postby MRDIITD5 » Wed 18 Nov 2009 6:48 pm

Hi Nick

Grease nipple is on one end cap. You would think that the uj would be pregreased but when you think about it, if the uj or propshaft were on a shelf for some considerable time then the grease would lose some of its properties

Still, job is done and it drives tons better
MRDIITD5
Spanner man

Postby cbrpilot » Thu 19 Nov 2009 10:22 am

One thing thats confusing, why do they list a different one for a diesel auto after 2001? It's still a TD5, and as far as I'm aware, they havent changed the drive line.

Rob
Land Rover Discovery TD5 ES 7 - Gone
Kawasaki ZZR600 E5 - Destroyed by a blind old fart
Volvo V40 SE
Honda CBR600 - here we go again....
cbrpilot
Head suit

Postby thebiglad » Thu 19 Nov 2009 5:30 pm

cbrpilot wrote:One thing thats confusing, why do they list a different one for a diesel auto after 2001? It's still a TD5, and as far as I'm aware, they havent changed the drive line.

Rob

That's a question I've been asking myself Rob, particularly in view of the fact that LR-series list another prop for autos and it's at least twice the price - and that's not an LR product !!!
Had loads, just not now.
thebiglad
Head suit

Postby Urban Panzer » Thu 19 Nov 2009 5:50 pm

As far as Im aware, they are all the same "except" the NAS 4.6 V8 as it has a longer distance between the T-box and the front diff as the autobox is longer, not really relevant I know but thats the only difference I know of. The V8 and TD5 produce basically the same torque figures, so either or should do imo, in other words, it would not worry me fitting a V8 prop to a TD5 etc.
Urban Panzer
Head suit

Postby thebiglad » Thu 19 Nov 2009 6:01 pm

A thought has just come to my feeble brain and I wondered if anyone would care to comment.

If the issue with the original front prop of Disco II is that you can't grease the U/j's, how about drilling a couple holes in the endcaps of each U/j (on opposing sides perhaps?) and then fitting grease nipples. Then you could shoot in as much smoothie juice as you like, as often as you like?
Had loads, just not now.
thebiglad
Head suit

Next

Return to Discovery