Pollen Filter

This is the place to find and to give Discovery advice. To post a question you'll need to register first. Any adverts will be removed with out notice.

Moderator: The Moderators

Pollen Filter

Postby floppy » Tue 07 Jul 2009 11:47 am

Is it possible to retro fit a Pollen Filter to my 2002 TD5 GS? My son is murdered with Hayfever and I am thinking of this as an aid for him. If it can be fitted where does it go?
200 TDi 90 Defender
TD5 Discovery GS

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.
floppy
Head suit

Postby discool » Tue 07 Jul 2009 1:49 pm

The D1 or D2 don't have have a pollen filter only the foam stuff at the rear of the bonnet to catch flies, leaves etc.

If you had one it would be at the begining of the air intake to the heater unfotunatly thats underneath the base of the windscreen on the nearside leaving little room to fit a standard pollen filter housing.

I surpose a small filter and a box to fit it in, along with a bit of ducting, could be made to fit in front of the disco's air intake.

Then make a hundred more, I sure they would sell :D
1997 Discovery ES V8 auto.
Previously for 10 years: 1987 Range Rover Vogue Efi auto.
Previously for 2 years 1985 TVR 350i manual.

STAY FROSTY & USE LOGIC ON DIFFICULT JOBS - Get someone else to do it..
discool
Head suit

Postby davidcarr » Tue 07 Jul 2009 3:44 pm

You might be better sticking one of these up your nose rather than trying to make a disco pollen proof.

http://www.breathepurenap.com/

David
davidcarr
Head suit

Postby thebiglad » Tue 07 Jul 2009 5:42 pm

davidcarr wrote:You might be better sticking one of these up your nose rather than trying to make a disco pollen proof.

http://www.breathepurenap.com/

David

Yeah right Dave, if you never want to speak to a member of the opposite sex, ever again. :lol: :lol: :lol:

This wouldn't be the answer to the replacement airfilter debate would it??
Had loads, just not now.
2010 Triumph Bonneville T100 Efi
thebiglad
Head suit

Postby floppy » Tue 07 Jul 2009 8:17 pm

I asked my son what he thought of the breathepure and he said he would rather sneeze than put them up his nose :lol:
200 TDi 90 Defender
TD5 Discovery GS

floppy
Head suit

Postby james 100 » Tue 07 Jul 2009 8:58 pm

What about some light gauze or foam instead of what is there now? I know it would reduce air flow and put extra strain on the blower motor but i have lived with a hay fever sufferer before.
james 100
Spanner man

Postby cbrpilot » Tue 07 Jul 2009 9:03 pm

Wouldn't make any difference mate, the intake hole is under the windscreen, and it would still pick up airflow from the engine bay. Can't see it making any difference.

It does however look about the same size and shape as the cab filters we use at work. I'll have a measure up and let you know.

Rob
Land Rover Discovery TD5 ES 7 - Gone
Kawasaki ZZR600 E5 - Destroyed by a blind old fart
Volvo V40 SE
Honda CBR600 - here we go again....
cbrpilot
Head suit

Postby james 100 » Tue 07 Jul 2009 9:11 pm

cbrpilot wrote:Wouldn't make any difference mate, the intake hole is under the windscreen, and it would still pick up airflow from the engine bay. Can't see it making any difference.

It does however look about the same size and shape as the cab filters we use at work. I'll have a measure up and let you know.

Rob

I thought the only air intake was the strip thats the length of the car just under the screen that can only be seen when the bonnet is open? Or is there somewhere els?? :?
james 100
Spanner man

Postby Feidhlim » Wed 08 Jul 2009 1:01 am

I thought the only air intake was the strip thats the length of the car just under the screen that can only be seen when the bonnet is open? Or is there somewhere els??

Yes James, if you look under the black moulding on the passenger side you will see a black duct about 50mm high protruding through the bulkhead. This takes the air to the fan unit above the passengers footwell. As already mentioned there is no space between this duct and the panel above it to fit a filter and any attempts to improve on the foam screen at the base of the windshield will not stop pollen laden air from get in.

Feidhlim
Feidhlim

Presently running 1999 Discovery II V8 ES

Formally 1996 Discovery 300TDi XS
Feidhlim
Spanner man

Postby floppy » Wed 08 Jul 2009 9:17 pm

Thanks guys. It looks like he will just have to live with it :( . A quick fix seems to be out of the question.
200 TDi 90 Defender
TD5 Discovery GS

floppy
Head suit

Next

Return to Discovery