300tdi cold start problem

This is the place to find and to give Discovery advice. To post a question you'll need to register first. Any adverts will be removed with out notice.

Moderator: The Moderators

300tdi cold start problem

Postby littlelegs » Fri 23 Mar 2007 2:33 pm

:shock: Hmm. Well had to set off for work on tuesday morning at 4am. Slept in - typical. Went to start the landy and although it would turn over it was v slow and wouldnt fire the engine.

Not having any time to mess i took our girts car with a view to looking at mine later. When I got home it started first turn of the key. The only thing that had changed was the weather. At 4am it was minus 4 or 5 and by the time I got home it was warm and sunny.

I checked the battery and it was a little low on charge so i charged it back up and it showed full within 4hours. Put it back on the car and it fired up 1st go. The following morning it was about minus 2 and again it was slow to start. The battery is over 4 years old at least.

Gonna check the glow plugs this weekend. Any other ideas?
95 300tdi water feature included
littlelegs
Head suit

bad battery.

Postby trailerfitter » Fri 23 Mar 2007 6:41 pm

Hi, your battery is over it's sell by date and I think the best thing to do is change it. Cold weather will take the edge off your battery. The guarranty they give on batteries will give you a clue to how long the unit be reliable.

There are many ways to test batteries and one way is to look at the cells to see if they are dry.

I change my battery every two years without fail and never have a problem. These 300tdi's need very little turning over to fire them up even in cold weather without glow plugs as they are direct injection but you need your cranking amps to feed the starter. A high amp hour battery is good in very cold weather.
trailerfitter
double-0-didn't

bad battery,now look here

Postby jasonfreeman1 » Fri 23 Mar 2007 7:14 pm

i.had the same problem.i went to halfords and was told that i needed a 590 amp battery,recomended.but i opted for a 670 amp with a reserve capacity of 155 minutes, and it just fits nicely.strangely enough it was 8 quid cheeper.happy as a pig in poo. :D
Last edited by jasonfreeman1 on Fri 23 Mar 2007 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jasonfreeman1
Tyre kicker

Postby BigFella » Fri 23 Mar 2007 8:05 pm

Not much more to add, but to agree with what has already been said. My 300Tdi ES takes an extra couple of turns when really cold, and this varies with the amount of alternative fuel I have mixed in :D . Put a better battery in and now I dont notice the difference...

David
BigFella
New arrival

when you buy a new battery...........

Postby trailerfitter » Fri 23 Mar 2007 8:18 pm

make sure the [half shaft] fits as some bigger batteries won't fit under the clamp.
If you go to a motor factors that most garages buy from they should be able to help you out and give good advice.. Generally if you pay for a battery with a good life guarranty it'll cost alittle more but will be reliable...........good luck chap :)

PS Take the motor there so you don't have problems fitting the damn thing.
trailerfitter
double-0-didn't

Postby corporal » Sat 24 Mar 2007 9:46 am

Here's another tip - when its very cold, put your foot on the clutch before starting for less effort on the starter motor.
One Planet - Powered by Biodiesel & Hydrogen

Series 3 1979 - Restored & Re Homed in Co.Wexlow
Disco 1 300TDI - Tuned Bio Rover with Hydrogen Cell

One day all of this will be yours my son.......
corporal
Spanner man

new battery it is then

Postby littlelegs » Sun 25 Mar 2007 12:01 pm

:lol: cheers for the advice peeps. Not convinved this battery is holding a charge properly now anyway. New battery it will be then.
Just the glow plugs to check now, oh and the service to do, oh yeah and theres that water ingress to sort, and the interior to put back in. Oh i need to accessorise too....so much to do so little time.
95 300tdi water feature included
littlelegs
Head suit

Postby trailerfitter » Sun 25 Mar 2007 2:22 pm

yeah, it's an ongoing love with a discovery....I'm thinking of buying a station wagon so the little water leaks ratttles etc will be acceptable!!! good luck
trailerfitter
double-0-didn't

Return to Discovery