Tyres !

If it's got the Defender badge, here's the place to get advice. If you're already the expert, help a fellow Landy owner here!

Moderator: The Moderators

Tyres !

Postby kryton1961 » Sun 26 Feb 2012 10:32 am

Well folks,
have to buy some new black circles for the lizzybus.Only problem , im not in Blighty but it Penang , Malaysia .
Choice , no where as good as UK and prices quite expensive.
I can get 265/70 x16 Bridgestone Dueler 694 A/Ts , anyone any experience ? I wanted Goodyear AT/SA but i cant track any down even though they are on the MY website.
Could have Toyo Open Countr AT again , any ideas .Also trying for some michelin zxy3 7.5 x 16 , again struggling to locate .
lizzybus is an overland 110 , fairly heavy and prone to lots of dirt roads/tracks.Need something to last us the rest of the journey to Aus/New Zealand then South America

Hope someone can shed some light
Lizzybus.com a scarey adventure
kryton1961
Grease Monkey

Re: Tyres !

Postby Purpleflarge » Sun 26 Feb 2012 6:44 pm

I would contact forum member jwchoo he lives in Malaysia and may be able to give you details of local tyre and spares places for land rovers
Minds Are Like Sewers. Deep, Dark and Full of Sewage.

Have you ever considered that you might be the weird one!
Purpleflarge
Head suit

Postby buford_90 » Mon 27 Feb 2012 1:10 pm

its all about bf goodrich :D
buford_90
Spanner man

Postby farmerboy_y2k » Mon 27 Feb 2012 3:44 pm

buford_90 wrote:its all about bf goodrich :D

Why? They're overrated and overpriced. One of the biggest considerations when selecting tyres for a trip like this availability of replacements. Keeping to the original size is usually best.
1985 110 2.5p Hardtop
1993 Range Rover Vougue Tdi
1985 Range Rover Vougue 3.5 carb
1990 110 tdi Hardtop - Current
http://www.yorklandroverservices.com/index.htm Mail order parts and Land Rover serving 01904 625073

[img]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d152/Silverywaters/LRO/MARTINFINISHED.gif[/img]
farmerboy_y2k
Camel Toed

Postby Pj2106 » Mon 27 Feb 2012 7:06 pm

farmerboy_y2k wrote:

Why? They're overrated and overpriced. One of the biggest considerations when selecting tyres for a trip like this availability of replacements. Keeping to the original size is usually best.

Interlet posting this post, not pj:

I know you've found them slippy in the wt Martin, which makes sense given how hard a compound they are, but I've driven them in wet, snow ice you name it and I've never had a problem with them sliding about or not having enough grip...so i think it's down to opinion about them, rather than blanketly saying they are overpriced and overrated...so far I've been bloody pleased with em, and they probably havnt even worn 1mm yet...
2002 Defender 90 TD5 Hard Top "Sully" Serck Motorsport Intercooler, Bell Autos Remap, 1.2 Transfer Box

"Land Rover God, grant me serenity to accept the things I cannot stop breaking,The courage to fix the things I can, And the wisdom to know the difference
Pj2106
A Naff One

Postby buford_90 » Tue 28 Feb 2012 8:30 am

Didnt mean to cause an argument but my bfg's r fantastic
buford_90
Spanner man

Postby LANDYS4LIFE » Thu 01 Mar 2012 5:39 pm

Pj2106 wrote:
farmerboy_y2k wrote:

Interlet posting this post, not pj:

I know you've found them slippy in the wt Martin, which makes sense given how hard a compound they are, but I've driven them in wet, snow ice you name it and I've never had a problem with them sliding about or not having enough grip...so i think it's down to opinion about them, rather than blanketly saying they are overpriced and overrated...so far I've been bloody pleased with em, and they probably havnt even worn 1mm yet...

Yeahh they are slippy in the Mud and don't clear very well but in all other instances I have found them brilliant, great grip on the road, quiet, well behaved on the wet roads, brilliant in the snow, great for greenlaning but not very good on wet grass :P (nearly had to be pulled out by a jeep) :oops: :oops: but just got out in time
When I come to buy a set of tyres for overlanding I will be getting another set!

However I do find cooper STT's brilliant too, they are louder on the road, but better in the mud, worse in the wet ( Mud tyres and BFG's are AT) but I change my driving to suit so Im not too bothered

Lue
LANDROVERS 4 LIFE!!!

Just one landrover and a hundreds of miles of the outdoors to explore.................

I am LEZ Compliant :D :D :D
LANDYS4LIFE
The Other Half Of Bros

Postby jwchoo » Fri 02 Mar 2012 4:15 pm

Hello All,

I'm afraid I was a little too late replying to lizzybus' needs being away on work in those the crucial few days. Anyway, she's gone with 265/70 x16 ATs and have left my number with them at their disposal.

Anyway, just to share with all here, unfortunately, we suffer from not having standard sized AT tyres (235/85/R16s and 265/75/R16s) here in Malaysia. Closest ATs are typically 31inchers (as there is only enough business volume for these due to Japanese pick-up trucks). LR Malaysia fit the 235/85/R16 Conti Cross Contact ATs onto the CKD twin cabs here but there are none for sale at tyre stockist. So, any of such tyres need to be imported and I've been told they'd cost anything above GBP200 a piece! Singapore down south definitely have the BF Goodrich ATs available but its added hassle to bring an overland vehicle across into the island (vehicle paperwork etc!).For MTs, very very recently, we've only got Maxxis 265/75/R16 MTs, otherwise Silverstone 275/70/R16s MTs are the next best and cheapest options. And I've happily recently got hold of Maxxis 255/85/R16 MTs just in time before the floods hit production in Thailand. Thailand has better tyre choices as truck culture is pretty big there. Such is life over here but we still love our landys here for sure :) And the LRO Int magazine cost us 6 quid per copy over here :)

So, yeah, renewing standard size tyres on an overland trip is still a challenge in Malaysia.

Cheers!
jwchoo
Spanner man

Return to Defender 90/110/130