Indicator Self Cancelling Won't Work!

If it's got the Defender badge, here's the place to get advice. If you're already the expert, help a fellow Landy owner here!

Moderator: The Moderators

Re: Indicator Self Cancelling Won't Work!

Postby JulianBrown » Fri 17 Feb 2012 1:02 pm

Ralph wrote:
JulianBrown wrote:Right. Before I convert my 90 to 100% manual indicator cancelling can I have one last go!

My old steering wheel has a pressure fit metal collar with 2 prongs pointing downwards towards the floor. My new 14" wheel has a similar arrangement except that it has 2 metal pins pushed into holes on the underside of the boss instead of the metal collar.

The prongs/pins fit into 2 apertures on a plastic disc which is located on the steering column below the splines which fit into the boss.

Even with the prongs/pins fitted correctly into the apertures and whether I use my old wheel or the new one my indicators still cancel IMMEDIATELY I begin to turn on a right hand turn.

I have noticed that the plastic disc with the 2 apertures rotates freely and has an arrow moulded into it.

Is there a way to get my self-cancelling working properly or should I just give up, as mentioned above, and rely on manual cancelling?

put the arrow to point to the indicator stalk & operation should be restored to as LR intended.

Sounds too good to be true, but I'll have a go at the weekend!
1984 'B' reg. Ninety 300Tdi/R380 Truck Cab.
JulianBrown
Head suit

Postby Purpleflarge » Fri 17 Feb 2012 6:51 pm

JulianBrown wrote:
Ralph wrote:
JulianBrown wrote:Right. Before I convert my 90 to 100% manual indicator cancelling can I have one last go!

My old steering wheel has a pressure fit metal collar with 2 prongs pointing downwards towards the floor. My new 14" wheel has a similar arrangement except that it has 2 metal pins pushed into holes on the underside of the boss instead of the metal collar.

The prongs/pins fit into 2 apertures on a plastic disc which is located on the steering column below the splines which fit into the boss.

Even with the prongs/pins fitted correctly into the apertures and whether I use my old wheel or the new one my indicators still cancel IMMEDIATELY I begin to turn on a right hand turn.

I have noticed that the plastic disc with the 2 apertures rotates freely and has an arrow moulded into it.

Is there a way to get my self-cancelling working properly or should I just give up, as mentioned above, and rely on manual cancelling?

put the arrow to point to the indicator stalk & operation should be restored to as LR intended.

Sounds too good to be true, but I'll have a go at the weekend!

No, it is that simple.
Minds Are Like Sewers. Deep, Dark and Full of Sewage.

Have you ever considered that you might be the weird one!
Purpleflarge
Head suit

Postby JulianBrown » Sat 18 Feb 2012 6:12 pm

Ralph wrote:

Sorry, but it didn't work!

I turned the plastic insert so that the arrow pointed to the indicator stalk (which made the slots in the insert lie north/south) and I ensured that the downward-facing prongs engaged into the 2 slots in the plastic insert.

But it still self-cancels IMMEDIATELY I turn right!

I have now removed the auto-cancelling metal collar/pins and until/if I can come up with a permanent fix I shall use manual cancelling.
JulianBrown
Head suit

Postby Ralph » Sat 18 Feb 2012 8:47 pm

that's strange.

my Defender workshop manuals states

align the cancel ring slots [part of coloumn switch unit to top bottom & line the moulded arrow up to face left at indicator stalk, refit steering wheel.

check the ring actually cancels the indicator by moving it by hand & selecting left or right indicator before refitting the steering wheel, it should work, did for me.
M3WRM Western Recovery [MSA licenced]
Ralph
Defender of the Faith

Postby JulianBrown » Sun 19 Feb 2012 12:21 pm

Ralph wrote:that's strange.

align the cancel ring slots [part of coloumn switch unit to top bottom & line the moulded arrow up to face left at indicator stalk, refit steering wheel.

check the ring actually cancels the indicator by moving it by hand & selecting left or right indicator before refitting the steering wheel, it should work, did for me.

I have checked the cancel ring by hand before fitting the wheel and it cancels IMMEDIATELY on a right hand turn just as it does with wheel fitted! i.e. it's cancelling far too early on a right hand turn. Left hand turns work O.K. although sometimes the self-cancelling doesn't work at all.
JulianBrown
Head suit

Postby Ralph » Sun 19 Feb 2012 1:06 pm

sounds like it's either worn out or something is missing/broken.
M3WRM Western Recovery [MSA licenced]
Ralph
Defender of the Faith

Postby Dads toy » Sun 19 Feb 2012 1:11 pm

As I said earlier, the only way to solve this is to take the whole thing down and see how it works and what's out of position.
The collar etc. seems to work (assuming you have the correct collar) as it should BUT it's positioned incorrectly in relation to the switch - it turns it off too early one way and sometimes never the other. If the collar can only go on one way then logically, it's either the switch latches or the column that's out of position. Covers off, see how it works and take it from there.
If you can compare yours with someone else it may help but I still suspect the column unless the switch has broken and has twisted the latches round yet the stalk still stayed in position.

I can see this is going to be one of those "I'm going to fix it no matter what situations" Good Luck.

Malcolm

p.s. If I get time I'll take my wheel off and photo it so you can see where things should line up.
Td5 Disco2
Triumph Bonneville
Dads toy
Spanner man

Postby Purpleflarge » Sun 19 Feb 2012 3:17 pm

JulianBrown wrote:

I have checked the cancel ring by hand before fitting the wheel and it cancels IMMEDIATELY on a right hand turn just as it does with wheel fitted! i.e. it's cancelling far too early on a right hand turn. Left hand turns work O.K. although sometimes the self-cancelling doesn't work at all.

How the indicators work.
The way the indicators self cancel due to 2 arms at the bottom of the indicator stalk and a lug on the cancel ring.
When the indicator stalk in moved for a turn one of the arms on the indicator is moved closer to the the cancel ring.
Because one of the arms is now closer to the cancel ring the lug on the ring is able to make contact with that arm.
The arms are designed to allow the lug to go past in one direction but in the other it causes the indicator to cancel.
This can be tested by twisting the cancel ring while the indicators are working, this can be used to determine where the lug is on the ring.

To get the self canceling indicators set correctly.
Park the vehicle with the front wheels pointing straight ahead.
Remove the steering wheel.
Set the self canceling ring so the lug is on the opposite side of the steering column to the indicator stalk, if the lug is next to the indicator stalk it self cancels immidiately after the turn.
Minds Are Like Sewers. Deep, Dark and Full of Sewage.

Have you ever considered that you might be the weird one!
Purpleflarge
Head suit

Postby JulianBrown » Tue 21 Feb 2012 2:11 pm

Purpleflarge wrote:
JulianBrown wrote:

How the indicators work.
The way the indicators self cancel due to 2 arms at the bottom of the indicator stalk and a lug on the cancel ring.
When the indicator stalk in moved for a turn one of the arms on the indicator is moved closer to the the cancel ring.
Because one of the arms is now closer to the cancel ring the lug on the ring is able to make contact with that arm.
The arms are designed to allow the lug to go past in one direction but in the other it causes the indicator to cancel.
This can be tested by twisting the cancel ring while the indicators are working, this can be used to determine where the lug is on the ring.

To get the self canceling indicators set correctly.
Park the vehicle with the front wheels pointing straight ahead.
Remove the steering wheel.
Set the self canceling ring so the lug is on the opposite side of the steering column to the indicator stalk, if the lug is next to the indicator stalk it self cancels immidiately after the turn.

What do you mean by "the lug on the self cancelling ring" please?

By "self-cancelling ring" I assume you mean the plastic ring that the 2 prongs on the metal collar attached to the wheel fit into?

By "lug" do you mean the lump on the plastic ring which has an arrow moulded into it?
JulianBrown
Head suit

Postby Dads toy » Tue 21 Feb 2012 3:25 pm

Just so we know what we're all talking about.
With the wheels straight ahead.
This is what the collar looks like set up with the arrow opposite the indicator stalk.
If yours is like this and doesn't work then it's surely got to be the switch.

Malcolm
Td5 Disco2
Triumph Bonneville
Dads toy
Spanner man

PreviousNext

Return to Defender 90/110/130