Hammock INSIDE the Defender?

If it's got the Defender badge, here's the place to get advice. If you're already the expert, help a fellow Landy owner here!

Moderator: The Moderators

Hammock INSIDE the Defender?

Postby DonMacN » Sat 09 Oct 2010 9:10 pm

Hey folks,

I've been trying to track down a picture I saw on the web once upon a time - someone who'd strung up a hammock inside a Defender. I'm assuming it was a 110 as I can't see a 90 being big enough. Normally I use the trees, but sometimes: arriving really late; midgies bad, peeing rain, or all three combined, it might just be an easier option.

I've asked this on other forums, but not joy as yet. One other person does remember seeing a similar pic, with the hammock strung up from a 'staple' fitted through the rear 'vertical' roof panel, and through the window/door onto a roof rack by the A pillar.

Does this ring any bells with anyone here??

Cheers

(PS if any mods reckon this is in the wrong place, please feel free to move it over somewhere else! Ta.)

D
DonMacN
Grease Monkey

Re: Hammock INSIDE the Defender?

Postby dieseloneten » Sun 10 Oct 2010 9:49 am

I think I remember that - at least if I dont its an idea Ive been playing with for a bit. Maybe it was from an internal roll cage of a nylon strap to the roof rack..... there's usually too much kit in the back of my 110 to allow a hammock to sag sufficiently! Im sure it would work though

SW
1989 pre-Defender 110 SW "Stella"
1991 Def/Disco crossbreed 110 overlander "Elsa"

(1996 Camel Discovery "Custard" - sadly now sold)
(1988 pre-Defender 110 "Peggy" - sadly at the bottom of Mediterranean)

One world, four wheels......... bring me the horizon
dieseloneten
Spanner man

Postby dieseloneten » Sun 10 Oct 2010 10:25 am

I did see something recently where I guy had two bits of tubular steel that he could extend from his roof rack sides and hang a hammock from them.....

dieseloneten
Spanner man

Postby DonMacN » Mon 11 Oct 2010 6:54 pm

HI D110,

Thanks for the reply. It might have been an internal roll cage - I just can't remember. I was wondering if even something like one of the over windscreen light bars might be strong enough.

Like you my one has a lot of stuff inside usually, especially if packed to go canoeing or diving, but it's usually all waterproof enough to be left outside for a few hours. It's not something I reckon I'd do often, but thought I'd see if I could track down the picture.

On the steel tube extensions there's a pic on the DD hammocks website showing something similar. I think the story is that they sometimes slept in them while driving ...(or at least one slept while one drove - you know what I mean!). Can't see that being too comfortable, and you'd really want to trust your (hammock!) suspension.
DonMacN
Grease Monkey

Postby OG. » Mon 11 Oct 2010 7:56 pm

You could always make up (have made) something like I have in my 110:

The rear box houses a cooker and gas bottle as well as storage, the centre area is open to the floor of the vehicle, with a lift off lid panel that becomes a table, and the front most box is storage. The right side wheelbox top box is for tent poles and long items and there is a similar but shorter box on the left. The tall cupboard is for food storage.

When its all laid flat as shown there is room for two to sleep on camping mats.
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. ' Bertrand Russell

Elsie - Landcruiser Colorado
Helga - Smart Roadster Coupe
Fester - Defender 110 300TDi
Mabel - FC101 Ambulance (Sold)
Thing - Sankey
OG.
Dual Fuel Mod

Postby dieseloneten » Tue 12 Oct 2010 9:02 am

Don - I see what you mean about the hammock pic on the DD website - surely they wouldnt sleep in a hammock outside the truck when driving?
This has got me thinking about the idea again..... you could just tie off the hammock on the roof rack (if you have one) and close the doors on the strings/straps.... might give it a go.

As OG suggested, I used to have my kit in a range of metal boxes etc in the rear of the 110, until I got pinged by a Customs/Police spot check on the A64 coming back from the Sahara once, and the wagon was found to be overweight - spot fine - so I hauled all the metalwork out and replaced it with plastic wolfpaks as a weight-saving move.

On the note of sleeping on metal boxes in the back btw - I glued strips of old Karrimat onto the tops of them because the metal leeched the heat out of anyone sleeping on them - even on decent rollmats or self-inflating mattresses - even then they were cold! Im just a wuss.

dieseloneten
Spanner man

Postby OG. » Tue 12 Oct 2010 12:40 pm

dieseloneten wrote:...even on decent rollmats or self-inflating mattresses - even then they were cold! Im just a wuss.

The eberspacher warms the boxes nicely...... :wink:
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. ' Bertrand Russell

Elsie - Landcruiser Colorado
Helga - Smart Roadster Coupe
Fester - Defender 110 300TDi
Mabel - FC101 Ambulance (Sold)
Thing - Sankey
OG.
Dual Fuel Mod

Postby dieseloneten » Tue 12 Oct 2010 1:49 pm

OG. wrote:
dieseloneten wrote:...even on decent rollmats or self-inflating mattresses - even then they were cold! Im just a wuss.

The eberspacher warms the boxes nicely...... :wink:

Disconnected mine after it leaked everywhere :)

dieseloneten
Spanner man

Return to Defender 90/110/130