Defender TD5 ABS Problem

If it's got the Defender badge, here's the place to get advice. If you're already the expert, help a fellow Landy owner here!

Moderator: The Moderators

Defender TD5 ABS Problem

Postby andy vash » Mon 01 Mar 2010 4:24 pm

I’ve been trying to finger out why my ABS and hand brake light will not go out. I bought a Hawkeye Diagnostic tool and ran tests on the Wabco ECU, the Hawkeye reports no faults. When you turn the ignition key the traction control light goes out, the ABS light goes out for a second and then comes back on, (this is normal the ABS unit is self checking) but the hand brake light stays permanently on.
At first I thought the ABS unit must be faulty so I rang WABCO technical support, they advise if the ECU isn’t reporting any faults the unit the ABS system is working. If I brake suddenly when driving you can feel the ABS working so they must be correct
I then turned my attention to the warning light console. I changed the unit, no change. I then decided to rewire the warning light panel as if the unit wasn’t receiving an ABS signal (you need to insert links). I done this and still have the two warning lights.
On the back of the warning light panel there are two plugs, if I unplug the plug carrying the ABS signal and the handbrake signal, I shouldn’t have any of the two warning lights, but guess what I still have the warning lights. I can’t understand why because there unplugged. I’ve checked all the earths, I’ve even tried to earth pins individually, with no effect.
The garage told me to change the brake fluid; I’ve done this and still have the two lights.
It must be a wiring problem, I’ve checked everything I can, has anyone had a similar problem or can anyone point me in the right direction?
andy vash
New arrival

Postby zinke » Mon 01 Mar 2010 8:49 pm

Is the fluid all the way up to the MAX mark on the reservoir ? If not the light will stay on. Have you checked the switch in the cap with a multi meter? Test it in the fluid and then test it on the bench out of the fluid, making sure its all drained out, one should be a open circuit and the other a closed circuit. If not then thats your problem. Also have you tried disconnecting the wire on the hand brake switch? Think thats the correct way round, i dont think you have to earth the wire, but im sure somebody on here will correct me if im wrong.
2003 TD5 90 County
zinke
Head suit

Postby zinke » Mon 01 Mar 2010 8:51 pm

And i forgot to ask if its a 90 or 110? I 'think' they have slightly different systems.
2003 TD5 90 County
zinke
Head suit

Postby andy vash » Mon 01 Mar 2010 9:13 pm

Hi the vehicles 90, I have checked the brake fluid reservoir switch cap and hand brake switch, all works fine.
andy vash
New arrival

Re: Defender TD5 ABS Problem

Postby LRDNO » Sat 10 Aug 2013 8:05 am

Hi I have a very similar fault.Could you tell me what was the fix in the end? Many thanks.
LRDNO
New arrival

Return to Defender 90/110/130