Defender TD5 clutch noise

If it's got the Defender badge, here's the place to get advice. If you're already the expert, help a fellow Landy owner here!

Moderator: The Moderators

Defender TD5 clutch noise

Postby ridgeback » Fri 29 May 2009 3:03 pm

Last year I bought a genuine Landy clutch kit but because of the lack of dealers in France had to resort to a local garage to fit it.
Since fitting the clutch has been noisy when the engine is cold. however it does not match the faults listed in the dealership workshop manual (RAVE CD) ie it makes a noise when the clutch is depressed when not in gear and when in gear (gear selection is normal) it still makes a noise if you ride the clutch rather than being noisy when the clutch is not depressed, Slip/Drag or Fierce. There is no noise once the clutch is released and it does not feel like it is slipping (if it was slip I have run it for nearly a year with this noise and the clutch would have burned out)

I finally grasped the nettle today, as I thought it was something to do with the hydraulics possibly having moisture in the fluid (becuase it dissapears when the engine is warm and sounds like PAS grunt) I drained stripped and cleaned the master cylinder and refilled with new DOT4. However Merde the noise is still there.

The noise is not particularly bad- it is not gears grinding and the reason. Now I know it is not hydraulic I can hear a little metal on metal rumble in the noise.
Anyone any ideas, the selector forks, the bearing, something really simple? (please!)

Whilst I am at it I replaced the front brake disks last week and since doing so I now have steering wheel shudder at speed (over 50mph), Am I right in thinking I should have had the tracking and balance reset after taking the hubs off and putting them back on or did I miss something crucial when I did the brakes

Merci Boucoup

Ridgeback in the French pyrenees
ridgeback
Tyre kicker

Postby Dakar » Fri 29 May 2009 3:19 pm

Most likely cause is the clutch release bearing.
...and then there was one. Image
Dakar
Uncle Albert

Postby dlocke88 » Fri 29 May 2009 5:14 pm

another vote for the clutch release bearing, garages very rarely replace them unless they are supplied with one by the customer and told to fit it (sometimes they still don't fit it and the new one goes in their parts storage :roll: )

Dave
1972 series 3 88

Image Image
dlocke88
Head suit

Postby ozzie1989 » Fri 29 May 2009 7:14 pm

Don't worry about it, mine has done it since I had it and previous to that...

LR used carbon fibre in the release bearing which doesn't like the cold, hence the noise...

The best way I can describe it is that it sounds like something turning around and rubbing. It doesn't effect clutch use and after using the clutch a few times it warms up and stops making a noise.

Some clutch kits I believe come with a modified release bearing, although there really is nothing wrong with the old one.
TD5 Defender X-Tech (Snow)
South Wales Land Rover Club

ozzie1989
Head suit

Postby Randy90 » Fri 29 May 2009 7:16 pm

Most likeley to be the clutch spigot bush. Its really common on the Td5's.
My 90 has done exactly the same when cold for the last 2 years. It won't damage your landy but change the bush when you next replace your clutch.

See this link!: http://www.lro.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... pigot+bush
Last edited by Randy90 on Fri 29 May 2009 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Defender 90 X-Tech (Randy)
Randy90
Grease Monkey

Postby ozzie1989 » Fri 29 May 2009 7:20 pm

Ah, looks like I was given some duff information that I've been handing out for years :roll:

I did always wonder how a release bearing could contain carbon fibre :lol:
TD5 Defender X-Tech (Snow)
South Wales Land Rover Club

ozzie1989
Head suit

Postby adseybear » Fri 29 May 2009 8:17 pm

Mine does it when its cold, nothing to worry about. Just change the bush next time the clutch is out.
Flickr |Youtube| Facebook
2003 - Defender 90 CSW Td5 - Betty
adseybear
Spiderman

Postby tio » Fri 29 May 2009 8:51 pm

if it is the spigot bush that has become noisy, (sounds like a bearing has collapsed) it means its dry which means its wearing, not on the shaft side but on the housing side !!!!!! i done about a thousand miles on mine and wore a significant edge on the bush, luckily the location hadnt worn as significantly and the replacement bush still fitted in, but only just :shock: apparently this can be a pain in the [transfer tunnel] to get a corrected (oversize) spigot bush, ignore at your peril,,,,,, seeing as it only happens when it's cold my money would be on the release bearing, if it was your spigot bush it would get worse as it got hotter or further traveled, hope you sussit soon m8 8) 8) 8)
Ha Ha Ho Ho Tracks in the snow,,,,Whose are these tracks Where do they go!!!!!!!!
tio
Head suit

Postby Randy90 » Fri 29 May 2009 10:44 pm

I have read threads on here and other sites where people have spent lots of money replacing clutch components to remove this noise only to find that the noise returned shortly after :!:
I would have a read around and chat to others before you go spending your hard earned cash. :D
2004 Defender 90 X-Tech (Randy)
Randy90
Grease Monkey

Postby YORKSHIRELAD » Sat 30 May 2009 6:51 am

Randy90 wrote:Most likeley to be the clutch spigot bush. Its really common on the Td5's.
My 90 has done exactly the same when cold for the last 2 years. It won't damage your landy but change the bush when you next replace your clutch.

Thats spot on. Thats what happened to mine. Like Randy90, mine did it for about a year but it got silly so I had a new clutch fitted. People were looking at it and wondering what the hell the noise was :lol: .

Richard
2008 110 CSW.
1963 2a truck cab.
YORKSHIRELAD
Head suit

Return to Defender 90/110/130