How to : rear main oil seals 200 / 300tdi

If it's got the Defender badge, here's the place to get advice. If you're already the expert, help a fellow Landy owner here!

Moderator: The Moderators

How to : rear main oil seals 200 / 300tdi

Postby trailerfitter » Sun 15 Mar 2009 3:59 pm

just thought I'd drop some infor o here may be some use,....

300tdi rear main oil seal is comparitively easy since it has its own housing....you must use 2 guide studs when fitting a new seal to help the housing and seal to be guided into the crank squarly...The seals,. they are fitted dry ( ie no need to oil the lip of the seal.. )

Fit the the seal onto the crank with the seal protector fitted, the protector will be pushed out as the seal gets to home....
its very easy...

Now the 200tdi seal is a tad bit more difficult.............

since you would have removed the gearbox and would I presume be changing the clutch its the perfect opportunity to do the rear main if its leaking...this also is relevent to the 2.5 and 2.5TD as well as the petrol and the older diesel engines....Its easier to remove the flywheel housing ( only a few bolts holding it on....... persuming you've removed the flywheel....)

clean up the flywheel housing and remove old seal..clean any sealent off the housing if sealant was used by the last fitter.......

here is the official Land Rover tool ( well asctually its from the LDV tool kit but was for the 12J/ 15J engine)...If you ain't got one then look at the tool and you'll understand the seal needs to be driven in squarely you could easily use a large socket or a flat piece of steel / wood as long as it fits all the way over the seal body ..... it would do if tapped in the middle to even the pressure on the whole area of the seal body... :D

,...use a hammer on the edges to tap the seal home and this will disform the seal and it'll leak...90% of seal failure is due to ill fitment.

Last edited by trailerfitter on Sun 15 Mar 2009 4:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
trailerfitter
double-0-didn't

Postby trailerfitter » Sun 15 Mar 2009 4:08 pm

anyway,....tool inserted in housing then tapped home......squarely

what you have then is the seal in the housing,....notice the seal protector was removed before fitting

The protector can then be refitted into the seal TAKE CARE WHEN REFITTING THE PLASTIC PROTECTOR ANY DAMAGE TO THE LIP OF THE SEAL RENDERS IT USELESS!!!,...

just remember to fit the correct way around.the widest taper part is crank side it locates on the crank and as you push the housing back into place ( and you have 2 large dowels on the block to centralise the housing it'll all go on easy and quickly...this seal is fitted dry also as it has a teflon seal lip!

Last edited by trailerfitter on Sun 15 Mar 2009 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trailerfitter
double-0-didn't

Postby Paul 94 200 TDI dicso » Sun 15 Mar 2009 4:13 pm

Why are your engines/gear boxes so claen ?

What do you use to clean them? No I don't mean your son
ImageImageImageImage
Paul 94 200 TDI dicso
Living in the past

Postby trailerfitter » Sun 15 Mar 2009 4:18 pm

Paul 94 200 TDI dicso wrote:Why are your engines/gear boxes so claen ?

What do you use to clean them? No I don't mean your son

A dishwasher!!!!!!!!!!!...............no,... no.. no... I'm lieing. We have a degrease wash tank at work which comes in really handy :D ...Brake cleaner in aerosol is also very useful for geting oil off...
trailerfitter
double-0-didn't

Return to Defender 90/110/130