Hazard lights and indicators fault

If it's got the Defender badge, here's the place to get advice. If you're already the expert, help a fellow Landy owner here!

Moderator: The Moderators

Hazard lights and indicators fault

Postby Footo » Tue 17 Apr 2007 8:20 pm

Our 97 defender 90 has just failed it's MOT due to faulty indicators/hazard warning lights failure. They all worked fine when I left for the garage this morning and have developed this fault whilst it was stood on the forecourt waiting, hmmm. The fuses in the box are all intact and the relay and lights are fine as when I arm the alarm they all work ie indicators flash and you can hear the relay click, so the fault seems to lie elsewhere. Has anyone else encountered this problem? or can anyone suggest where/what else to check.

many thanks
Footo
New arrival

Postby Sparky » Fri 20 Apr 2007 11:56 pm

id have a look at the hazard switch. this usually changes over from normal operation to hazard so can affect both. the alarm may flash the indicators after this (in the circuit) so would still work

you can download manuals from here: http://www.landrover.ee/est/varia/downloads/cars.htm
to get hold of the drawings - vital for fault finding in my opinion
1963 SIIA 2.25 P - in bits
1976 3 Door 3.5V8 R/R
2002 TD5 90
Sparky
Head suit

Postby Ian Stewart » Tue 24 Apr 2007 5:12 pm

i had a similar problem on my 1988 defender 90, the problem was with the hazard switch not fully turning off, just wiggle it a bit and see what happens?!!?!
Ian Stewart
New arrival

Postby SafariChris » Tue 24 Apr 2007 7:32 pm

I'll third that !
Happened on mine too, new hazard switch and problem solved.
Chris
SafariChris
Head suit

Postby puddlejumper » Tue 24 Apr 2007 10:38 pm

and i will fourth that!!!
fairly common problem with the hazard switch especially if it doesnt get used much. Same switch on minis and loads of 70's & 80's BL stuff therfore fairly [swivel pins]!!!
Cheap enough to replace so try that first.
If not then probably need to look at flasher units
Smile they said, things could get worse.....so I smiled and sure as sh*t things got worse
puddlejumper
Tyre kicker

Return to Defender 90/110/130