Fitting Cubby Box

If it's got the Defender badge, here's the place to get advice. If you're already the expert, help a fellow Landy owner here!

Moderator: The Moderators

Fitting Cubby Box

Postby henry » Thu 28 Feb 2008 10:51 pm

How should my cubby box fix into the gap where I have removed the centre seat. It was supplied with four screws??
henry
New arrival

Postby Ralph » Thu 28 Feb 2008 11:17 pm

Yes, that's the recognised location, you may want to raise it higher, so the box lid can be used as a arm rest by both front seat occupants, decide how high you want it & add to lengths of wood on the underside, use longer bolts/nuts to secure the cubbybox to the centre cover panel.
M3WRM Western Recovery [MSA licenced]
Ralph
Defender of the Faith

Postby gazola » Thu 28 Feb 2008 11:46 pm

This can be a little tricky, as the bolts to secure the box go through to the underside of the landy near the gearbox and are quite in-accessable. I have mine on four peices of wood (to form a frame) with the center seat panel removed i bolted the seat panel to the cubby box and then when the two were lower back into place the back of the cubby box secured itself on the upper rear rail of the seat box. It sounds more complicated than it is, and when i get home i'll take some photos to show you how i have done it if you like.

This said the way in which i have done it is by no means the best as it isn't actually bolted in in any way, just wedged.

On the up side i have heard of a special form of bolt similar to those use on plaster board walls that you can drop through the center seat panel to hold the cubby box in place.
gazola
Head suit

Postby henry » Thu 28 Feb 2008 11:55 pm

thanks for the replies, yes any pictures would be helpful.
henry
New arrival

Cubby box

Postby CSPS » Fri 29 Feb 2008 11:12 am

Hi I raised thebox in my 90 with wooden slats and i also took the opportunity to fit a small drawer underneath,this is not visible and i keep the wheel locking nut tool and rotor arm in there if i am leaving the vehicle somewhere I am not sure is a good area.hope this is of interest,the fitting is fiddly but quite do able esp if you can borrow a clinch nut gun,

all the best
Chris 90 V8 on gas
CSPS
Spanner man

Postby ozzie1989 » Fri 29 Feb 2008 3:03 pm

I've had my cubby box in and out a few times, and although bolted through the floor they aren't that inaccessible. It's obviously hard to have your hand under the vehicle and in the cubby box to tighten up the bolts at the same time, but if there is two of you it's not a problem.

On the bottom of my standard cubby box there are 4 feet which somewhat resemble the feet off the bottom of a sofa, or those rubber door stops with the screw through the middle. If you do intend to bolt it through the floor, these 4 feet are a good hight to make it an arm-rest :)
TD5 Defender X-Tech (Snow)
South Wales Land Rover Club

ozzie1989
Head suit

Postby Ralph » Fri 29 Feb 2008 4:37 pm

This parts diagram might help.
M3WRM Western Recovery [MSA licenced]
Ralph
Defender of the Faith

Postby Trevor Wright » Fri 29 Feb 2008 5:47 pm

Ralph, your diagram shows a lockable cubby. AFAIK the one on the latest Puma Defender is not lockable - maybe someone can confirm that. The cubby in the Accessory catalogue is also not lockable it seems. I guess this is why Exmoor Trim have a lockable (and steel) cubby for sale.

So are LR not on the (b)leading edge of cubby-box-technology anymore?

Thanks
Trevor Wright
Grease Monkey

Postby mse » Fri 29 Feb 2008 6:00 pm

It was easy to do the bolts up - long reach screw driver, the remove the access panel under the seat a place spanner in position
Mike
2013 3.0 Range Rover Sport
99 300TDi Disco
Various new range rovers and defenders gone
mse
Head suit

Postby henry » Fri 29 Feb 2008 7:22 pm

Thanks for all the help guys,

In the end I fitted the cubby box to an alluminium sheet bolted into the seat mountings, which is good as it covers the holes and can be easily removed to gain access underneath.
henry
New arrival

Next

Return to Defender 90/110/130