Gearing, what will fit to what?

They may rust but they are simple - Got a problem? Post it here

Moderator: The Moderators

Gearing, what will fit to what?

Postby Nell » Wed 03 May 2017 3:43 pm

I have a 92 Range Rover classic that I bought with 265/75,16 tyres on. It originally had a Borg Warner transfer box fitted to LT77 gearbox mated to a 200tdi engine. After the Borg failed I replaced it with a RRC v8 LT 230 box to keep me on the road untill I could rebuild the Borg.
1. I have read that all the Borg boxes fitted to RRCs are the same 1.2 ratio as the V8 LT230s, so why does the Borg feel lower in gearing?

2. Ideally I would source a defender 1.4 ratio LT230, but have been told by one company that it wont fit the LT77 RR/Disco gearbox, and that 5 and 4th gears would need changing to different ratio parts?
Another company says it will bolt straight on???

3. My RRC has no difflock, and the H/L lever in front of the gear lever, so I assume I would have to find a Transfer box from a year that defenders had the H/L in the same position? Does anyone know what period this is?

4. Does the defender LT77 have a different amount of splines on the mainshaft! If I purchased a complete set of gearbox and transfer box will the splines match the Factory fitted 92 RRC 200 tdi, or would I have to replace the flywheel??

5. If I could only find a defender gearbox and transfer box with a Difflock would it go straight into my 92 without issue.?

Forgive if some of these questions lack common sense, but in my defence I have had a whole day of phonecalls to companies giving me conflicting info, and I am now saturated and irritable.
Nell
Spanner man

Re: Gearing, what will fit to what?

Postby paintman » Thu 04 May 2017 8:39 am

What exactly are you trying to achieve & why is the BW box not suitable?

Was yours factory built with that engine & gearbox & transfer box or a conversion?

I'd suggest discussing it with Ashcroft Transmissions.
1986 RRC 3.5EFi LPG
paintman

Postby Nell » Thu 04 May 2017 8:58 am

Thanks for the reply. I am just trying to get the gearing down a bit. The engine is revving too high, and I am in 3rd gear most of the time. I purchased the present high ratio transfer box last year to keep the RR running for work as was only box available at the time. Now I want to get the job done properly.
Nell
Spanner man

Postby paintman » Thu 04 May 2017 6:43 pm

I get the impression from looking online that many fit the Disco transfer box to the Defender to try & get the revs down - ratio from 1.4 to 1.2ish - to improve fuel consumption & overall cruising speed.

My own RRC is a factory 3.5EFi automatic & according to the LR factory manual for it - 1986 to 1989 petrol & diesel (VM not the TDi) - the LT230T fitted as standard transfer box is 1.192:1 for both manual (LT77) & auto (ZF). Same manual gives the BW as 1.206:1.

Your RRC would be covered by the RAVE CD which was available for free download online or for purchase from ebay & others. Might be worth sorting one to see if there are any differences.

Transfer lever on mine is in front of the gear selector but the ZF selector is cable operated so it could go pretty much anywhere. Manual boxes are a bit more problematic. You may need to make modifications to the transmission tunnel.
1986 RRC 3.5EFi LPG
paintman

Return to Classic Range Rover